Daily Fibre Supplements - Are They Safe?

Options
SueGeer
SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
I have a really sluggish digestive system, a consequence of which is constipation - usually only go 2-3 times a week & then it can be just like rabbit's poo - (sorry, TMI!) I usually eat more fibre than recommended by MFP & I drink 6-8 glasses of water & at least 6 mugs of herbal tea a day, but it's not working.

The last few mornings I've been taking a sachet of Fybogel as an extra fibre supplement & it seems to be helping with my 'problem' and I've been going every day.. It says to take a sachet morning & night, although I only have one in the morning.

My question is: Am I doing myself more harm than good and should I be taking this EVERY day?

Replies

• xFrancescax
    Options
    Fybogel is ok for a daily supplement...we use it in hospital for long stay patients who suffer the same. it wont do any harm.
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bringing this up, I suffer too:smile:
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Typically they are safe as long as you don't mis-use; have heard of some using them in lieu of eating to feel full or to "purge".....with mild IBS I normally can manage to control it through diet (whole grains at each meal) however when that is not possible I use a similar US supplement.
  • mzayed
    mzayed Posts: 27
    Options
    I asked a doctor about a similar thing (except i use fiber gummies), and she said fiber supplements can't hurt as long as you are drinking enough water. She thought that they were a good, safe idea if you are having trouble and are trying tp eat as much fiber in your daily diet.