How to beat post workout soreness?

nixxy74
nixxy74 Posts: 106
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
Anyone got any tips for the post stiffness for after the mammoth workout I did yesterday.Ive been walking around like a flippin starfish lol....(radox bath hasnt worked)

Replies

• V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Are you warming up, stretching before and cooling down?
  • canaussie
    canaussie Posts: 168 Member
    lotsa water...make sure you are stretching after your workout, and hold the stretch for at least 20 seconds....
  • skinnyb450
    skinnyb450 Posts: 288
    Dencorub /Tiger Balm or Deep heat????:flowerforyou:
  • Taking a protein shake afterwards help reduce soreness.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,317 Member
    Taking a protein shake afterwards help reduce soreness.
    That's what I was going to suggest, but I don't think that'll help you today. I just usually try to do some gentle stretches the next day.
  • Also soaking in a hot bath or a hot tub help with soreness. :)
  • procrastinatra
    procrastinatra Posts: 3 Member
    Streching actually doesn't help recovery, nor does anything else...
    http://content.wkhealth.com/linkback/openurl?issn=0112-1642&volume=36&issue=9&spage=781

The body takes care of it self given the right nutrients (carbs right after training, proteins about 30-90 minutes post) and enough sleep. Also it adapts, so next time won't be quite as bad. Hang in there and congratulations on a good workout! :smile:
  • nixxy74
    nixxy74 Posts: 106
    drinking plenty of water although im getting headaches (weird) and the only thing i can spot is not a long enough warm down.thanks everyone
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    drink a small glass of chocolate milk or a small protein shake afterwards to aid muscle recovery. Try having it within 30 mins of your workout.
  • BCAA's!!! Branching Chain Amino Acids will help with over all recovery from workouts. Nothing will get rid of muscle soreness though. All you can do is take something that will help speed the muscle repair process up. BCAA's are best taken post workout becuase the blood flow to the muscle group that you trained that day will help increase the delivery.
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    Long term, just keep on working out. When I started to exercise early this year there were days I couldn't get up the stairs or out of bed. It passes, quicker than you think!

Short term, I found walking to cool off before I hit the shower helps me.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    I suggest working out again tomororw after your body as healed a little I always feel better once I get movign again. The last thing you want to do is sit around your muscles will feel better once you warm them up and get them moving again....as painful as that is.
This discussion has been closed.