Confused about daily calorie deficit

Options
Hi,

I've been using MFP for about two months and have been steadily losing weight. My trainer set my goals for me, but I'm a bit confused about my daily calorie deficit.
I usually come in under my daily goal, which is 1350 cals. But I just had a look at my goals (which my trainer set) and it says I should have a daily deficit of 280 cals to lose 0.5lbs per week. If I have that defricit, I will be consuming less than 1200 cals a day. Is that ok?
I ask because I have been losing about 0.5 lbs per week steadily, but the last 2 weeks I've hit a plateau. I have recently increased my workouts. I do 3 gym sessions a week ( a mixture of weigths, power and walking strength exercises), one boxing session and lots of long-distance walking at weekends. Also a bit of swimming to relax.
Any advice welcome as I'm getting a little discouraged.
Cheers:smile:

Replies

• LillysGranny
    Options
    Are you logging your exercise? If you've set up MFP with your goal to lose 1/2 pound a week AND you log your workouts, you should be able to eat right up to the number of calories MFP calculates each day and still lose your 1/2 pound per week. You must be doing something right if your scale is responding!
  • cconeill
    cconeill Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    MFP should already have your deficit calculated out of the number of calories they set for you. Now that you have plateaued I would up your calories a little bit kinda zig zag your calories I know sounds crazy but your body is getting used what you have been doing and you need to change it up. Sometimes I would eat like 1800-2000 calories a day for like a month and now I am 1400-1500 calories a day. Plus right now I am doing low carbs for like 2 weeks. Hope this helps some in my opinion it is just important to keep changing up your diet and workout :) Good Luck stick with it
  • BeastieGirl
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I had heard about increasing and lowering your calories. I do log my exercise, it's more the days (only 1 or 2) a week that I don't exercise. Should I still have 280 unused cals, or should I just try and stay below my daily amount?
    It soon becomes evident, doesn't it, that you have to do something every day to stay within your limits!

Thanks very much for the support xxx