Toning exercises?

Options
I have been doing squats, push-ups, bicycle crunches, and lower tummy firming leg lifts (idk what they are called but i was told they help firm the lower tummy which is a part of my prob. area after kids) but i'm starting to think i need to take it up a notch. I still feel the burn when i do them and i have upped the amount many times but im not ever sore the next morning which is making me think im not really accomplishing anything. What exercises can i do. I want things that work my arms, legs and tummy. I dont own weights and i dont want to have to buy weights. I'd rather spend my money on my daughter. Advice would be great. I would really like to bump my toning exercise into a new ball field and start pushing myself harder.

Replies

• End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    If by “toning” you mean making the muscles visible, you have two options, make the muscle larger or make the fat smaller. Making the muscles large means you need some type of heavier residence training. To make the fat smaller you need to consume less or burn more calories. You cannot target fat loss to specific areas of the body.

Feeling a burn or soreness is not a measure of a good workout. I squat 340 lbs and do not feel sore the next day
  • Momcharisma88
    Momcharisma88 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    k thanks im only 109 now my goal weight is still 105 but im not far from it thats why im wanting to work on my muscles
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    If you don’t want to buy weight try resistance bands. There are a lot of ways to incorporate them into the exercises you are already doing. For squats, stand on one end and hold the other in your hand while performing the exercise. For push-ups, hold each end under your hands with the band tight across your back.
  • Momcharisma88
    Momcharisma88 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    awesome i do have one of those i jsut never knew what to do with it. Thanks a ton.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Good advice from grglandr.
  • bka8
    bka8 Posts: 92
    Options
    I'm a huge advocate of yoga for muscle toning. It works all the muscles that you are looking to tone and it improves flexibility and balance! Not too many people think of yoga for muscles, but stretching is another form of muscle building. There's tons of free videos on youtube or hulu or if you're a netflix person I bet there's something on there. But maybe give it a shot, its definitely a different level for muscles!
  • dennypup
    dennypup Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you are going to a ball field you could incorporate tricep dips using their bench or the stands. Being as thin as you are it wouldn't take long to see the definition in your arms and shoulders. My arms look pretty good for my being as heavy as I am, the dips do it for me I think. I just do them til it burns, rest a minute or so and repeat. :)
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Jump rope. Seriously! It is a wicked cardio workout, and if you do intervals it will help rev up your metabolism. Also, check out www.bodyrock.tv, Zuzana updates with free new workouts almost daily, and she has loads of super intense workouts, mostly using bodyweight, and intervals. She does sometimes use a sandbag and dip station, but you can just do an alternative exercise or do without the sandbag. Beware- her workouts are brutal! But you will see results.