Deflated

Options
Hi - I need help. I'm feeling deflated. I lost 9lb on my first week which was a real boost to the system. I make sure I don't go over my calorie count sometimes I may event be 100 under. This week I didn't lose anything.

Why?

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    What type of calories are you eating - 100 calories of spinach will not do the same to your body as 100 calories of cake or chips. Also, how much sodium are you taking in, and are you drinking enough fluids? Have you added exercise to your routine? Sometimes it takes the body time to adjust and your first week you probably lost a lot of water weight.
  • crystal10584
    Options
    first off, you need to eat the 1200 calories recommended. if not (i'm sure you've seen) MFP warns of going into starvation mode. You have to give your body something to burn.

second, drink more water! you should be getting in at least 8-8oz glasses a day. if you think it's too hard, get a cup you can't see through with a lid and a straw and you'll be surprised how much you drink.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Your first week is always huge due to water weight loss. Your body is just adjusting to the change. Keep at it.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    When I started my journey I wrote my anticipated weight on each monday of my office calendar just to see where I might hit my goal. Mid year I was feeling really discouraged because I hadn't lost much in weeks. I pulled out this calendar just to see how "far behind" I was and much to my surprise I was the exact weight I had anticipated!!!
    Some weeks you lose more, some less, some none at all . . . if you keep up your dedication it will come. Some weeks you can do everything right and not lose at all . . . our bodies just work in their own way.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Looking at your food diary, over the past week, you have been consistently UNDER your calorie goal by 100 calories or more. Try to stay as close to the daily goal as possible - with healthy choices of course. Also, try some protein at breakfast. I didn't notice any exercise logged. Log your exercise and eat the calories.
  • dwood6537
    dwood6537 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with DanOhh and lutzsher.

Also, make sure when you weigh yourself you do it the same way every week. i.e. in the morning after using the bathroom every time. Your weight will fluctuate throughout the day depending on how much you ate and drank and your water weight. I can weigh as much as ten pounds more at night than I do after a hard workout in the morning. Just keep working hard and be patient and you will do great! Good Luck!
  • lisab1969
    lisab1969 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I've noted your comments and will print them off and stick them on my progress board to make sure I am doing them every day.

Fingers crossed something happens next week.

Will let you know.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You may want to look realistically at your expectations so that you don't feel too deflated. The first week, your body responded quickly because it was all new, and as mentioned earlier, there was probably a lot of water loss involved. Don't forget also the tricks our hormones play with us. There is one week per month when no matter what I do I either stay the same weight or even gain 4 to 5 pounds due to hormonal issues. No matter what you do, don't get discouraged. 9 pounds in one week is a lot and your body is trying to figure out all these changes you are making. But just like a little kid doesn't understand why you are disciplining, eventually your body will figure it out and go 'Hey, I get it, this is what she's doing!"

In the meantime, don't get discouraged. 1.5 to 2 pounds per week is a realistic expectation and once you get your groove, you will see that everything will fall into place. Just stay consistent and make sure to eat to fuel your body properly. Since too extreme a deficit in calories is not the way to go, try to stay in the 500 to 800 range with a minimum intake of 12 to 13 hundred net calories and you will be fine. Good job so far and I hope you see a good return on your self-investment.
    ~Namaste
  • lisab1969
    Options
    I've done really well this week. Drank lots of water and making sure I eat my full quota of calories. Hopefully the weigh in on Sunday will pay off. Fingers crossed. Need to measure myself then as well.
  • lisab1969
    Options
    I've done really well this week. Drank lots of water and making sure I eat my full quota of calories. Hopefully the weigh in on Sunday will pay off. Fingers crossed. Need to measure myself then as well.