Setting Deadlines or Not? ...Kinda lost, Please Help

Options
Hey :)

I've set my goals... It was kinda hard for me because I don't know how much I've weighed over the years. I wanted to set up some rewards too, and that was also kinda hard for me... So now I can't decide if I want to give myslef deadlines for meeting my goals. if I set some, how do I know what's a good time frame to meet them?

I already know the reasons deadlines for your goals are good, but for weight loss, I'm worry that if I do set deadlines, it will make all of this learning-a-new-life style and loosing weight stuff much more stressfull and frustrating (not that it's been stressfull and too frustrating this go around; maybe 'cause I'm really ready and willing this time?) . I also worry that if I do set deadlines, I may not give myself enough time and end up loosing weight too fast. ( I don't mind loosing fast, but I think if it's too fast, it's not good (maybe not safe?)) I also don't want to set them too far; where's the challenge in that? ...and I know that as a drop pounds it can take longer to loose the same amount of pounds so I don't know if I should give myself more time to meet my goals as my weight gets lower.

Have you set goals and given yourself deadlines for meeting them? How do you feel about giving (or not giving) yourself deadlines? If you do how do you now the right amount of time to give?

Below, is my goals/rewards list just in case you need to see my goals to help.

Thanks so much for your help!

Start Weight 224-ish (old scale was off…) 3-1-11
Goal: 195 (The first time in years I’ve been under 200)
• Hot Stone Pedi/Mani with Paraffin Wax (because I haven’t been under 200 lbs in forever!)
Goal: 185 (…just ‘cause it sounds good.)
• New Wii “work-out” Game *OR* some cute “Shape-Up” Shoes for Walking.
Goal: 170 (...is this a size 16? I don’t know. I’m just guessing on numbers.)
• New Wii “work-out” Game *OR* some cute “Shape-Up” Shoes for Walking.
Goal: 150 (…a size 14??? I would love to be a size 14!)
• Spa Day?
Goal: 140 (what size it this??? Is this a 14??? maybe a 12???)
• HRM? (if I’m still working out and liking it)
Goal: To find my “happy” weight/size (If I already have not done so).

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I have set goals, but not deadlines, and I'm still able to stay on track. Everyone has a different view on this, but I prefer not to stress myself out by making deadlines.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Great goals! I am 5'3" and at 140 I was in a size 7/8. It depends on your height and how you carry your weight, but I just wanted you to be able to update your goals.

Deadlines are not necessary. You have to be happy with the life you live and setting at rigid schedule does not accommodate well for real life.
  • crystal10584
    Options
    I like deadlines, but I'm a goal oriented person. Like... I wanted to be below 180 by this upcoming Wed and I made it early, felt so good.
  • awelch79
    awelch79 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I set deadlines as part of my goals, but if I dont meet them by that date, Im going to try to not get down on myself and just meet it as soon as I can. I am 5'10 and 184 lbs and in a size 10 so it all depends on your body type. When I was at my heaviest (230) I was in a 16. Good luck!
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    I have one goal with a date attached, but if I don't reach it exactly, I won't mind as long as I'm still eating well and exercising by that point. As far as rewards go, I have a bottle of sparkling cider for when I crack 10 lbs, but after that I'm not sure.
  • crusinforlosin
    Options
    I to goals, and rewards. I make my mini goal weight, about every 10 pounds. Eventually I'll make them farther apart. It just helps me with motivation.