need tips- busy moms and exercise

Options
I wanted to see how many good ideas I could get for busy mothers with small children to find time to exercise. I have only been able to do it because my children are old enough to play on the playground while I walk/run. But for women with especially small children (keep in mind not everyone can afford to join a gym that provides child care) getting in even a few minutes can be a real challenge. Any ideas?

Replies

• helthymom6
    Options
    i would love to know this as well.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    invest in a Beachbody workout program then commit to waking up early to get workout in, or after the kids go to bed. My mom said she used to put us to bed at 7PM so she could get her stuff done...and have some peace and quiet.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I workout while my one year old son naps in the afternoon. He takes usually 1 to 1 1/2 hr naps so that's how much time I have to workout. I currently do Turbo Fire. If you want a short workout, the 30 day shred should fit perfectly into your schedule as it's only about 20 minutes.
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I had a question similar to this yesterday. I am only able to get 20-30 min a day at home. Can't afford the gym and I find it hard to trust people to watch my child. Usually she lets me workout but there are times she in my face, in my leg space etc. There's no easy way around it plus i work days and my husband over nights. Not a whole lot of Mommy time in there
  • teachmeyoga
    Options
    Maybe doing a video from home while the children are asleep. Or if even more crunched on time jump rope, crunches, lunges, anything to get the heart rate going.
  • Lindz8afish
    Lindz8afish Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 and a half month old. I wake up either with my husband or before my husband and get in at least a half an hour of exercise before he goes to work. That way I'm guaranteed that time to myself. But during nap time is also a great time to workout as well. I also carry him in a Bjorn on our walks, so I burn more calories. I don't have a gym membership either. Sometimes he is a part of my working, ie dancing around together, squats holding him, etc. Be creative! I used to use "I don't have time" as an excuse, but not anymore, there is always time!!
  • bijalita
    bijalita Posts: 8
    Options
    Wear your baby in a backpack, a sling or whatever and clean your house or go for a walk. I have a 16 month old (and 12 year old and 5 year old). I wear my 23lb toddler and take the older kids on long rambling walks around the neighborhood and in parks. I also got the Wii Fit, and I'm doing the 30 Day shred which is just 20 minutes. I work ft and have a 40 minute commute, it can be a challenge to find the time to exercise but it can be done.
  • fishermanwife
    Options
    If the weather is nice I try to walk push the stroller and walk the older kids to school then when the younger ones nap I do workout dvds and the stationary bike, good luck
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I wake up between 430-5am and do a DVD at home. TurboFire is my program of choice right now.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    The only time I've found is in the morning, waking up before everyone else, and run while my husband & kids sleep. I could also do TV workouts, but I hate most of them, and then if my kids wake up, they come interrupt me anyway.

With an outdoor run, they just go wake up my husband (or vice-versa), but the only way they can interrupt me running is if they call me, and the only way for me to get back to the house if they need me is to keep running.
  • slonej
    slonej Posts: 2
    Options
    I have a 2 year old. I throw on a "dancing" workout dvd and she goes nuts dancing right along with me. I know its not ideal but it gets me moving and her moving.
  • XBabigrl72
    Options
    My little one is just about two. So I've reached age where naps are few and far between and play time is just about everything. I do all my workouts at home or on a trail at the park. If I'm running or walking I just put here in her stroller with some toys and walk she usually lets me get in about 20 minutes before she gets bored. She likes riding the bike more so we got her a car seat that go behind me on the bike. She can do that forever and if I catch her when she's tired she falls asleep. lol. I do my strength work at home. I get up earlier than her so I can get this in or do it after she goes to sleep. Most people don't like doing a workout before bed but it doesn't bother me. See what works for you. For little little one's it's harder because unless you put them on a schedule you never know when their gonna wake up and want you.
  • sojojoshua
    Options
    its all about motivation. I lost 30 kgs, beginning of last year.... my daughter was just one and a quarter and my son, 4 years . I didnt join a gym... but what I used to do was.... Wake up at 4 am and go for a walk for one and a half hours. so by 5:30 am, I was back home to prepare breakfast....So, was I tired? NO, NOT AT ALL...I had more energy than ever before!!!
    When my daughter takes the afternoon nap (that is when my son is at school), I used to do jumping jacks, on the spot jogging, step ups with a chair etc for one hour straight... Plus a very strict 1200 calorie diet... There are days when Ive done 10 minutes exercises throughout the day... whenever they were watching TV etc.. ... so its not that hard... well the rest of the time, I was really busy with them....
  • AJDistel
    AJDistel Posts: 93
    Options
    I have a 2 and 3 year old. They usually get up around 8:30 so I get up at 6:30. I eat and work out in my family room and usually get done around the time they get up. They nap during the day for a couple hours so if I can't get my workout in in the morning, I'll do it then or after they go to bed. If this is something you really want to achieve, you just have to put the time and effort into it.
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I put a show or a short movie for the kids and do my workout in the kitchen after clearing out a bit to make space. I go to www.bodyrock.tv and get a free daily workout. Its done usually within 8-18 minutes depending on the workout. Its high interval training and is very effective in a short amount of time. You sweat and Burn calories like crazy.
  • CWRose
    CWRose Posts: 62
    Options
    With my kids I just try to involve them as much as possible. They enjoy the mom time with me as much as I enjoy them. Just holding your baby in your arms and dancing around can get ya going. I can't afford the gym or a babysitter, so all the previous were right on the early mornings and late nights. Thats the part where commitment and dedication come in hardcore. It is definitely tough, but doable. :)
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    This is definitely a big issue for me - My husband works long and unpredictable hours. Our gym doesn't have child care and when I'm motivated to go to the gym, it's too late to find a sitter. So, I try to walk places with the stroller (I have a 2.5 year old) and make the trips exciting - to the post office, to the grocery store, out for lunch or coffee and we always make sure there are stops at the park along the way. I also have tried the 30 Day Shred, but only got through about 8 days before I got sick of it, or got sick of being interrupted. I also work full time, so I try to use my lunch break as a mandatory walk time - I put my sneakers on, go eat my lunch and then take a 20-30 minute walk in the sunshine! It's the best part of the day and it makes me feel energized to get through the afternoon.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I exercise at night after the kiddos go to bed. Do you have netflix or exercise on demand channels? Work out in your living room. I will admit this takes a lot more motivation than going to the gym
  • Emmy_Ann
    Emmy_Ann Posts: 60
    Options
    I am right there! I have a 3 year old and since my hubby is in Korea we're saving as much $$ as we possibly can.. So no $ for the gym and I definitely wouldn't even if I could pay for child care while I exercise. I found a single jogging stroller in great condition on craigslist for $50 and talked the girl down to $40.. And I go walking with my boy.. we do hills.. we do flat stretches.. I do stairs.. and then at home I do strength training like squats and curls, etc with dumbbells I got for cheap at Wal-mart.. 7.2 lbs lost in a week and a half isn't bad so it must be working right?!
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Here is what I do-
    daily my partner and 9 month old take a 15 minute walk after dinner. I put lo in a sling and we walk outside or if the weather is bad up and down stairs in our apartment complex. My partner and I get to talk and it has become part of lo bedtime routine and helps her fall asleep
    in addition two that I do- crunches, squats, arm weight, and leg raises and stretching in a rotating fashion while lo plays next to me, 6 days a week
    also 6 days a week I pick one of these and do with lo for 10-30 minutes depending on mood, and time. Lo is also in a sling for this: wii fit, leslie sansone walk dvd, eliptical(afterlo is asleep), walk outside, swim,free zumba videos on youtube, etc.
    I also plan to start going to water aerobics early morning once I week on my own
    the bonus for using a sling is that I am luggin 17 extra pounds into my Workout!