Quinoa Tabbouleh

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
Quinoa Tabbouleh

A staple in the diet of the ancient Incas, quinoa (KEEN-wah) is well on its way to being dubbed supergrain of the millennium. High in fiber and a high-quality protein similar to that found in meat, this grain cooks up like rice and has a mild flavor similar to couscous. Quinoa can be found in health-food stores and many supermarkets.

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups water
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1/2 cup coarsely chopped seeded tomato
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint or parsley
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped cucumber
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons minced fresh onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preparation
Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork. Stir in tomato and remaining ingredients. Cover; let stand 1 hour. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Yield
5 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 182(24% from fat); FAT 4.8g (sat 0.6g,mono 2.5g,poly 1.1g); IRON 3.5mg; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 31mg; CARBOHYDRATE 31.6g; SODIUM 259mg; PROTEIN 5g; FIBER 5.3g

tabbouleh-ck-223454-l.jpg

Replies

• TamTastic
    Options
    Quinoa Tabbouleh

A staple in the diet of the ancient Incas, quinoa (KEEN-wah) is well on its way to being dubbed supergrain of the millennium. High in fiber and a high-quality protein similar to that found in meat, this grain cooks up like rice and has a mild flavor similar to couscous. Quinoa can be found in health-food stores and many supermarkets.

Ingredients
    1 3/4 cups water
    1 cup uncooked quinoa
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped seeded tomato
    1/2 cup chopped fresh mint or parsley
    1/4 cup raisins
    1/4 cup chopped cucumber
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons chopped green onions
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    2 teaspoons minced fresh onion
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preparation
    Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork. Stir in tomato and remaining ingredients. Cover; let stand 1 hour. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
    Yield
    5 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

Nutritional Information
    CALORIES 182(24% from fat); FAT 4.8g (sat 0.6g,mono 2.5g,poly 1.1g); IRON 3.5mg; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 31mg; CARBOHYDRATE 31.6g; SODIUM 259mg; PROTEIN 5g; FIBER 5.3g

tabbouleh-ck-223454-l.jpg
  • DeannaK
    DeannaK Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    sounds interesting.. i think i, personally, would like it.. i'm not sure about the rest of the family though. might be something to make for lunches and then portion it out. have you made this, and had leftovers? does it keep well?
  • TamTastic
    Options
    I haven't made this yet but have had other tabbouleh. I think it would keep for 2-3 for best taste. In fact, it is probably better the next day when the flavors have blended really well!

I love tabbouleh and this seems like a great recipe with the quinoa which is a great source of protein and fiber. This would be a good lunch with some crackers or something.
  • DeannaK
    DeannaK Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    the blend of ingredients just sounds very yummy.. i have to do some grocery shopping tonight or tomorrow, so i'll be adding these ingredients to my list :)
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is delicious. Can even be made like a risotto or pilaf, easy on the oil, using fat free chicken broth. I actually even have it as a hot cereal, mixed with steel cut oats and apple. Yummo!
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    You can also get Quinoa at bulk food stores like Bulk Barn, I use it in my Multigrain bread along with sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, flax seed, rolled oats etc..
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    I've had this, it is good.

Rinse the quinoa before you cook it to remove any coating that was not removed in processing...otherwise ugh :noway: a bad taste. I've forgotten to do this once.

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?nm=Reference+Library&type=AWHN_Foods&mod=Foods&mid=&id=D18F2C4462B74726B0C2D1FD8A8A65B8&tier=2