Am I doing something wrong?

Mochadog
Mochadog Posts: 13 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
Maybe I'm missing something here. I've been at this for four weeks now, and I've met my calorie goal (1220 -- which is what MFP said I should have) every single day. And yes, I eat my exercise calories (when I have them). The scale has hardly moved. In fact, today I am up one pound.

This last week wasn't the best example for food choices, but still I have been consistent with meeting my target. So what's going on? Too much sugar? Too much sodium? I'm certainly getting my protein.

Now that life has settled down again, this week I will be getting back to my regular gym schedule (4x week).

I'm so frustrated that the scale is not moving. It seems like I get to this weight (155) and I just stay there no matter what I do.

Suggestons, thoughts?

Replies

• ILuvLifehouse
    ILuvLifehouse Posts: 55 Member
    I know it's frustrating when the scale is stuck and doesn't move but keep it up, it will move!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    where you have a goal to lose only 10lbs, your caloric deficit may be too large. The less you have to lose the smaller your deficit should be. Try changing your goal to 0.5lb weight loss/week. Eat all of the calories suggested and give it 3-4 weeks then weigh yourself again. When you don't have much to lose and have a large deficit you risk having your body burn muscle, instead of fat, to use as fuel.
  • mmiley1111
    mmiley1111 Posts: 36 Member
    I understand what you are saying. I have been at this a month now and have lost 3lb and gained 3 lbs. I have been my present weight for about 6 months and cannot get below it. I have started training for a 5k and am excersing 5 to 6 days a weeks. So I don't get it either. JUST DON"T GIVE UP!!!:smile:
  • UnoDiamante
    UnoDiamante Posts: 356
    It might be too much sodium or carbs...When you do your exercises, try to incorporate some intervals in to raise your metabolism...

Are you snacking or just eating 3 meals a day? eating 4-6 smaller meals (or 3 meals and 1-3 snacks) spaced evenly thorough out the day will help your metabolism stay higher.. (HEALTHY snacks though.. ) :)

Maybe try meeting your calorie goal but not eating all your exercise calories? I usually eat some of them but not all...

Good luck! :)
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    sosunds like you just had a weird week. little fluctuations happen and don't reflect that you are doing something wrong.

try not to look back and just go forward with your plan.

lots of water and clean non-processed foods tend to jump start it for me....and good sleep too!

best of luck.
  • eMV5LBS
    eMV5LBS Posts: 5 Member
    I just had a MetaCheck done where it tells you where your metabolism is. Sites like this one assume an average metabolism. You may have higher or lower and need to adjust your calories. I would suggest dropping the calorie for the day and changing the carb to 30%, protein to 40%, and fat to 30%.
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Can't see your sodium intake but the sugar is way high...I've noticed that even if my calories are way less, what am I really putting in my mouth? processed foods, loaded with sugar and sodium, Sodium is the killer!! no one tells you about that!!

Good luck!
  • cconeill
    cconeill Posts: 54 Member
    Are you changing up your workouts? Make sure you aren't doing the same workout every time :) Good luck just stick with it your weight fluctuates all the time 1lb is probably just water weight :)
  • ChunTingO
    ChunTingO Posts: 225 Member
    im with you on this i just saw the scale and been dong everything but i went up with workin out. but everyone tells me that is normal just dont freak out and keep going the weight will come off eventually
  • where you have a goal to lose only 10lbs, your caloric deficit may be too large. The less you have to lose the smaller your deficit should be. Try changing your goal to 0.5lb weight loss/week. Eat all of the calories suggested and give it 3-4 weeks then weigh yourself again. When you don't have much to lose and have a large deficit you risk having your body burn muscle, instead of fat, to use as fuel.
    thats makes sense and helps me too thanks xx
  • ksv123
    ksv123 Posts: 82 Member
    I see that you are only trying to lose 10 pounds. The last few pounds are the most difficult to take off. Keep at it.....
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Agree about the sodium...it is HUGE for me...had no stinkin idea, either!!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Unless you're really tiny, it looks like you may have your loss per week goal set too high. When you are very close to goal, you need a very conservative deficit. Also, if you aren't doing any strength training/weight lifting, I would recommend it to increase strength and definition and boost metabolism. And remember that the last few lbs are rarely a steady loss - it's much more of a rollercoaster and you can't rely on the scale too much - focus on the overall trend over WEEKS, not days.

It may help to read these threads that discuss how to determine a healthy, realistic goal/deficit. Good luck with it!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics
  • cconeill
    cconeill Posts: 54 Member
    Definitely try to cut back on bad carbs too :) Eat small 5-6 small meals per day and don't drink your calories :)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    You mentioned you're getting your protein and you "are" getting the MFP default of 15% of your calories from protein but if it's not working you could try increasing your protein goal, I have a goal of about 3x your protein (roughly 50 grams for yours and 154 for mine)
    Besides that I'd have to try cutting down the creamer instead of 4Tbsp try 3 for a bit, you don't track how much coffee that's going into so maybe it's a Tbsp per cup for 4 cups. Most of your calories you want to come from filling nutritional food.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    I totally understand. My body seems to like 150-155. Of course my taste buds seem to like sugar and beer!!! :o) Seriously, though, I feel your pain and hope you can figure out the problem and get moving forward. There is a lot of good advice here. Try not to get discouraged. I was about to give up this weekend and found a post that got me moving again. Best wishes!!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    reyna is right, you need to monitor your sodium........I did, then it started to come off.Youd be blown away when you see how much salt is in EVERYTHING you eat...its mind boggeling.

monitor youd soduim and kinda stay away from processed.........Lloyd
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    sodium is always my first suspect... and (imho) more important to track than fibre or sugar.. (assuming you are not diabetic).
    There is SO much sodium hidden in processed foods.

Once i started tracking sodium i was appalled at how much i was getting, and i lowered mine to 1500mg per day... around that mark i found the weight has been falling off steadily, with and without exercise *S*

good luck!
  • jcb2kds
    jcb2kds Posts: 40
    Don't worry so much about the number on the scale (I know, it's hard) but, measure yourself instead. I went for 6 weeks without losing anything so I started measuring everything - chest, waist, arms, hips, thighs, etc. This helps keep me motivated when the scale disappoints. So far I've only lost 7 lbs since Feb, but I've lost 24.5 in overall.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I just had a MetaCheck done where it tells you where your metabolism is. Sites like this one assume an average metabolism. You may have higher or lower and need to adjust your calories. I would suggest dropping the calorie for the day and changing the carb to 30%, protein to 40%, and fat to 30%.

I would not suggest any particular ratios as suggested above, but you can play with your numbers to see what works for you. FYI a Balanced diet consists for carbs between 45-60%, Protein 15-30%, fat 20-30%.
This discussion has been closed.