Why I stop running....... (stupid ear buds)

Options
doobabe
doobabe Posts: 436 Member
I don't stop running because I am tired or because I am sore.... Nope. Instead, I get off the treadmill every single day because, after about 20 minutes of running, my ear buds start to fall out because I am sweating. Now, for anyone this has happend to you realize just how irritating this is! For those of you whom havent had the pleasure.... let me break it down for you.

First, sweat starts running down my face, which in itself, is annoying enough. But THEN, slowly but surely the music gets quieter and quieter then BLOOP out comes an ear bud. Now, for someone like me, wo runs with 2lb weights in each hand, it is quite complicated to get the ear bud back in. Then out comes the other side and visa versa every 20 seconds until I give up and stop because I am so stinkin' irritated that I am no longer enjoying the work out.

I have tried everything- including wearing a sweat band and several different types of ear buds, but to no avail. How frustrating! And, using the exterior speakers is out of the question, since I work out at 5am and Im not thinking the fam would be to proud of blairing music at that hour lol.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I have had this same problem...I bought these Sony earbuds on line that hook behind my ears like hearing aids LOL...they are the only ones that haven't fallen out...and they've come close when I get really sweaty.

I don't run very fast though so maybe that's why I haven't had as many issues.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    If you NEED the music for your run then get a set of the headphones with the over-your head bar to keep them in place. It'd let you finish your run :)
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I have the saame issue. I find I cant get into my zone because I'm so aware of the buds falling out.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Skullcandy's 2XL earbuds with a stocking cap. Kind of has a "neighborhood strangler" vibe to it, though.
  • pmorrison101
    Options
    The same thing has happened to me....I wear the around the ears Sony now and have not problems. Good luck
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! I feel your pain!!! Happens to me EVERY day on the treadmill/elliptical and is soo annoying. I am going to buy some of the ones that go over the outside of your ear & has a bud that sits in your ear. Hopefully that will work. Good luck to you! Wish me the same :glasses:
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i have theses amazing phillips earbuds that go around the back of my ear and are super comfey and never have fallen out and i get really sweaty and gross when i run lol! i do sometimes push em gently back in if they come out slightly, but that's just with the back of my hand. i think i paid $40 for them, and i've had them almost 3 years?
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    I had that problem- got measured for a pair of yurbuds (yurtopia)- they fit and don't fall out and go right over the ear buds you have. Got them at the local running store. before that I did the headband over the ear buds- to try and keep them in!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    they make ear buds/head phones for running, usually clip around behind the ears. not sure the name brand or anything
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the skull candy ear buds? The ones that came with my iphone just don't fit my ears. They stay in really well while I'm jogging, I have the sweat problem too.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Could you run outside? I don't have access to a treadmill, so I only run outside, but outside, I think it's safer to run without headphones, and when I go in the morning, I can listen to the birds etc. It's very peaceful usually.
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    i agree with the skullcandy ear buds....inexpensive and they dont move one bit
    ...i recently ran a 10k with them in the whole time without any problems
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I use the headphones that came with my speedo aquabeat - it's a waterproof mp3 player (for swimming!) so the headphones are designed to be wet and not move around. They rock!
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience when I started using earbuds a few years ago. I bought a pair with different-sized attachments, and after finding that the stock pair were constantly falling out, I switched to the smaller-sized pair and haven't looked back since.
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I don't have the issue of them falling out but I have abnormally shaped ears I think and any of the head phones that go into my ears hurt really bad and/or give me head aches. I use a Sony brand that are the old school shaped round head phones but they have a plastic piece that goes around your ears instead of the head band that goes over your head. They are the only ones I can use because they don't go inside your ear at all and they stay on during running and when I do box jumps!
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    As I fellow sweaty runner with earbud problems I recommend these from Nike...

http://reviews.nike.com/9191/AC1514/nike-flow-headphones-reviews/reviews.htm

And for a headband I SWEAR by Buff Coolmax headbands. They absorb sweat really well and dry super fast...

http://www.rei.com/product/766718
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I have had this same problem...I bought these Sony earbuds on line that hook behind my ears like hearing aids LOL...they are the only ones that haven't fallen out...and they've come close when I get really sweaty.

I don't run very fast though so maybe that's why I haven't had as many issues.

I have those too. I had the same problem and the over the ear ones worked for me.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Have you tried putting the sweat band over the earbuds???
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Could you run outside? I don't have access to a treadmill, so I only run outside, but outside, I think it's safer to run without headphones, and when I go in the morning, I can listen to the birds etc. It's very peaceful usually.

Outside is WAY better than the dreadmill. I ditched my music years ago (much safer as I always run outside in the mornings). I found I really liked having one less thing to worry about on my runs.

ETA: at the gym I wear little over the ear headphones as those little ipod buds only stay in my ears if I sit still