Today Show Segment

Options
woja9640
woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
Just saw the Today Show segment where they interviewed a girl who had recreated a life size version of the "Barbie Doll" for Eating Disorder Awareness week to show just how UNREALISTIC Barbie's proportions are.

39 inch bust

18 inch waist

33 inch hips.

Soooooo not good. The girl who built the doll said that she suffered from anorexia four years earlier, and while her issues were her own, the Barbie Doll and wanting to be exactly like that didn't help things either. Very interesting segment.

Replies

• eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Oh I just saw that...very interesting. I would say a lot of young girls probably think the same way as that girl did but I never did. I couldn't see looking up to a piece of plastic. I wanted to be like my mom...which wasn't the best choice either because she was slightly overweight lol.
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I'm taping this episode because Tony Horton, creator of P90X, is going to be on in the last hour.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Oh I just saw that...very interesting. I would say a lot of young girls probably think the same way as that girl did but I never did. I couldn't see looking up to a piece of plastic. I wanted to be like my mom...which wasn't the best choice either because she was slightly overweight lol.

I was the same way. But I think it's a good think she did this because it got everyone talking about how the fashion and the Doll have skewed our opinion on what a healthy woman should look like.

Hell, Marilyn Monroe, one of the sexiest women from the Golden Age of Hollywood was between what today be considered be a size 8-14.