coffee creamer?

Options
So i love coffee and i usually put a little low fat sugar free creamer in my coffee. However, I read that even that creamer is really bad because its all trans fat and hydrogenated oils? I count the calories and all so I'm just curious if it really is that big of deal? Thanks!!!!!

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I use fat free creamer, but I'm sure it's still bad. I can't drink my coffee without it though, so I limit myself to 2 tbsp, and go about my day, lol.
  • JMYGA
    JMYGA Posts: 26
    Options
    Hell...I don't even count it. I figure if thats the worst I do then I am doing great.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i use fat free half and half...and i don't even use the whole 2 tbsp serving size. 1 tbsp is only 10 cals. :)
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    It's all about calories in/calories out if you ask me. I can't drink my coffee without creamer and coffee is one thing that I refuse to give up, so I'm still using it. I consume 2-4 tbsp per day of the fat free creamer and log it in my diary. Oh well...
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    jb, unfortunately ,i have to have my creamer in my coffee.......thats the one vice I have and work around it......if there are any good ones out there, Id like to know

I tried the low cal Creamora and a few others, but they just arent the same as the half and half creamers that I use at the diner I get my coffee every morning.........

I dont have many vices but I have to have those small creamers for my coffee........I do input them in my menu as well..........Good Luck, Lloyd
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I use the real stuff. Half and half. Its 40 cals for 2 TB and you don't need as much of it. It has saturated fat instead of transfat but it just seems more natural. If you like creamy coffee I guess you just have to "pick your poison" ;o)
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    try soy/almond/coconut/hemp milk or a soy creamer (they even have it in flavors!)
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    hard core clean eaters will tell you it's toxic and ruins all the benefits of coffee . . .I have decreased my use of it, as well as cut my caffeine intake, but some days coffeemate peppermint mocha just finds it's way into my coffee . . .
  • heathhumble
    heathhumble Posts: 178
    Options
    I don't count my coffee either.
  • MommaToFour
    MommaToFour Posts: 106
    Options
    I gave up creamer and instead I use Virgin Coconut Oil! It's tons better tasting than just black coffee and the health benefits are endless! :)
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    So i love coffee and i usually put a little low fat sugar free creamer in my coffee. However, I read that even that creamer is really bad because its all trans fat and hydrogenated oils? I count the calories and all so I'm just curious if it really is that big of deal? Thanks!!!!!

If I have coffee, I put regular half and half in it. I do measure it though.

The artificial creamers and the 'light' creamers generally aren't any lower in calories but they are full of sugar, chemicals and trans-fats.

Odds are that you use so little of any type of creamer in your coffee that it's not worth getting too excited about, unless you're having several cups of coffee per day.

I generally make myself a latte with skim milk in the morning and that's my entire coffee intake for the day.

Lots of people here like the sugar-free, flavored syrups for coffee, Torani is one brand, but there are others as well.
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    I would suggest using the real stuff, but in the same respect if you want to save those 20 calories and use the low-fat stuff and ingest the partially hydrogenated & other chemicals that's up to you. I used to use Coffee-Mate the Hazelnut stuff until I read all the scary ingredients it kind of put me off on it, so now I just use regular half & half but if you drink more than one cup of coffee a day and your puting 2TBSP of half & half that will add up at 40 calories per serving. I use to be a coffee addict I've recently switched to tea, Morning Thunder by Celestial Seasoning is awesome at giving you a caffeine boost I drink it with hot water only, so there's no cal's!
  • rick0327
    rick0327 Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree, if you are exercising and eating healthy, don't stress! i haven't seen to many people on "The Biggest Loser" who had too much flavored coffee creamer!
  • Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options
    Instead of creamer (which has an unnecessary amount of junk in it), try vanilla almond milk. I use that in my coffee plus two packets of Truvia with a spash of vanilla extract. Yummy coffee with no junk.
  • paxton40
    paxton40 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You might like to try Silk creamer. I know, I know, it's not cream, it's soy. But I was at my girlfriend's house one day and she didn't have cream so I tried Silk creamer for coffee and it was SO GOOD. Since then lots of my friends have switched. And nope, I don't like regular soy milk in anything, not even vanilla. Here's some nutritional info http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/silk/soymilk-creamer
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    My coffee is like my soul...bold and black.
  • stephstrege
    stephstrege Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do/did log it. I have been "asked" by nutrition/fitness coach to stop using it, I compromised and switched to the "So Delicious" brand, it is a coconut milk creamer, I used the hazelnut one. But now I am drinking my coffee plain, I switched to organic free trade coffee beans and grind my own beans every morning and it is surprisingly most delicious having those fresh ground beans. But hey I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. It really comes down to personal choice. It's better than any high fat, high sugar late at a coffee shop!
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options

I only came to this to see what you said LOL you didn' dissapoint haha
  • Jb8885
    Jb8885 Posts: 126
    Options
    Ok im glad im not the only one that loves coffee and needs my creamer! Yeah i figure its not that bad if its fat free..sugar free. I actually do sometimes drink soy creamer and always soy milk , but i never heard of hemp creamer lol thats a new one!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

I only came to this to see what you said LOL you didn' dissapoint haha

:blushing: