Newbie-Just Joined

Options
Hello. I stumbled upon this site when searching my I-Phone for calorie counting apps. I'm in the process of downloading the mobile app now and I've set up an account on here. I've started and stopped Weight Watchers numerous times over the years. But, I've never actually done calorie counting before. 2 girls I work with have had tremendous success with counting calories so I thought, lets give it a try! I'm not into exercise AT ALL and I know that's a huge stumbling block for me. If the weather would ever decide to get NICE, I'm going to start walking.

Replies

• nicakk01
    nicakk01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Welcome! MFP is a great place to learn and have support. You can add me as a friend if you would like. We can motivate each other.
  • stonehenge74
    Options
    Welcome! I joined today too, and am coming off of Weight Watchers!
  • Duerdie
    Duerdie Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi, I started about a week and a half ago. I've been able to lose 20-30 lbs in the past by calorie counting, so I know it works. The big difference for me this time around is that I'm trying a more sustainable approach. I'm real goal oriented, so in the past I'd go to the gym 5-6 times/week and do 40 min/500 cal workouts. That would allow me to lose weight fast but after a few years, the weight would creep back. This time I'm just increasing my activity level by doing 30-35 minute walks, eliminating "mindless" snacking, large portions and second helpings. So far, so good. I do most of my food logging from my phone and the scanner method works great. I really encourage the walking. In 35 minutes you can burn 200 calories, which takes some of the pressure off meeting your daily quota. For me, that can mean "earning" a cold beer during the game or a glass of wine before dinner!
    Good luck with your quest!