To much protein

Options
Hello I am new to the program and so far love and shocked at what I was prev eating for calories. I seem to go way over my protein goal every day. Is this a bad thing? Any thoughts woud be much appreciated. Have a great day!! :smile:

Replies

• mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    it probably won't cause problems unless you are eating hundreds of grams of protein over a day, but you don't need a ton of protein. you'd probably be better off replacing the protein overage with carbs and fat (as these would be short if your protein is over but your calories are right around your goal)
  • haldeman5
    haldeman5 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I always go over the protein but not by too much and it is almost always lean protein. I figure of all the ones to go over I would rather that one:-) Good Luck!!!
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    The protein figure here are too low! Don't worry about going over if you are healthy otherwise.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    PLEASE GO OVER, PLEASE!!!!!

To substain muscle tissue and help promote fat loss you should get .7-1 gram of protein per lb. Many will disagree but too much carbs and fat will only promote burning of carbs and fat that has just been digested and does not promote burning of fat stored on the body.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hello I am new to the program and so far love and shocked at what I was prev eating for calories. I seem to go way over my protein goal every day. Is this a bad thing? Any thoughts woud be much appreciated. Have a great day!! :smile:

I think the protein goal on here is very low and I regularly exceed it. If you are working out, you should be aiming to get at least half your body weight in protein grams per day.
  • dennypup
    dennypup Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Not for nothing but back in the day I did the super high protein super low carb thing and got a couple of kidney stones. Then I ran into a guy at work that had the same thing happen to him. I usually go over in the recommended protein here but I make sure I get plenty of good carbs, kidney stones are PAINFUL! I thought I was dying the first time!
  • boobear00
    boobear00 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Agreed, the goal protein for this website it too low. I have been told by a nutritionist and confirmed with my doctor and trainer that women should get around 100g of protein a day if they are working out. My doctor said if I'm not working out on a consistent basis I could go lower, around 80 grams.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Not for nothing but back in the day I did the super high protein super low carb thing and got a couple of kidney stones. Then I ran into a guy at work that had the same thing happen to him. I usually go over in the recommended protein here but I make sure I get plenty of good carbs, kidney stones are PAINFUL! I thought I was dying the first time!

You make a good point: There is a difference between extreme diets (like Atkins' first phase) and eating a few more proteins and less carbs and fats each day.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with going over as long as your aren't way under on your other needs.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Agreed, the goal protein for this website it too low. I have been told by a nutritionist and confirmed with my doctor and trainer that women should get around 100g of protein a day if they are working out. My doctor said if I'm not working out on a consistent basis I could go lower, around 80 grams.

#'s are reflective of body weight
  • mommymichellell
    Options
    :happy: Thank you so much for all the information. I find that if I eat less protein I am hungry. I will work on balancing. Lots of great ideas!
  • boobear00
    boobear00 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If it helps, what I found works best for me is to eat protein with EVERY meal. Whether that be a main meal or a snack. Then depending on what time of day it is I pair it with either a fruit or veggie and grains, fats, etc. Different types of carbs are consumed at different rates. Especially things like grains and starches are metabolized quicker than veggies. If you pair it with a protein it slows down how quickly your body consumes it making you fuller longer. First half of the day I get my fruits in (I have a piece with breakfast and lunch). So that my body has time to break down the sugars in them and get them used up. I tend to have my grains and healthy fats towards evening times. Again this is just what works for me. I'm still learning about nutrition and so it might be incorrect but I know that this process can be overwhelming and hope what I've learned can help someone else. Good luck!