The Office Environment

Options
I work FT in a typical "Office Environment" 130+ people office. Until I started on MFP I never ever realized how much "free food" and treats and snacks get offered up. Now that I am pretty much turning down 98% of them (besides a luncheon last week, and I made really good choices, fresh shrimp, carrots, 1 pickle and a small amount of sundried tortellini), I realize just HOW MUCH gets offered and am incredibly proud of how much I have turned down, from donuts, to cake, to candy bars to several company sponsored breakfasts and lunches. Thank goodness for MFP!!

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling, although I don't work in an office that size. But every time it's someone's birthday and then at other random occasions, we have breakfast or lunch or some other kind of treat brought in. I don't partake of these treats unless I have planned for it in my food log. Some things are hard to pass up (like pizza and cookies), but other things aren't hard at all. I used to love donuts, and I never thought I'd be a person who just doesn't want to eat them, but I guess I have conquered my addiction to donuts because it's not hard me to turn them down anymore.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    you should see what was offered at my office this morning.....someone's birthday....boxes and boxes and boxes of caramel rolls, donuts, eclairs, oooy goooy twisty things, cupcakes, jelly filled such and such....

it was WAY more than the usual (I bet someone brings in fried sugary stuff at least twice a week).

I always allow myself to look and smell and then congratulate myself when I walk away empty handed. I always mentally reflect on the healthy and satisfying steel-cut oats I had for breakfast and the healthy fabulous salad I have packed for my lunch. This really makes walking away easy. If I hadn't planned ahead and packed my lunch and breakfast I'm sure I'd partake in these treats because I wouldn't be able to reassure myself that I have better food already available.

I find that planning my food in advance has been the most helpful tool in this whole process!
  • heididormanen
    Options
    We worked with a group of co-workers.. now known as the wellness committee and found that everyone was having the same problem so we decided t make an office policy that you can only bring things in on Friday.. has worked great for us
  • stephstrege
    stephstrege Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    We worked with a group of co-workers.. now known as the wellness committee and found that everyone was having the same problem so we decided t make an office policy that you can only bring things in on Friday.. has worked great for us

Funny thing is, we have a wellness committee, and they do great things for us, Health Fairs, 5K's, recently offered us a fitness/nutrition coach at half the cost to us, but then there is the "Party Planning Committee" and they aren't on board to much with healthy stuff, lol. I think they feel it's a "treat" so it has to be fried, covered in sugar etc. Well when treats happen several times a week it's more than a "treat" and I just can't allow it for myself personally. If I decide to have a small cheat it is something I have chosen.

WTG For all of you who are resisting temptation :)