Anyone women here who have done Body for Life?

Johnnyswife
Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
No offense to our guys, but are there any women here who started out large like 200 lbs or so, and have done Body For Life?
My husband wants to do it again. He did it in the past with sucess and I told him if he did it, I would do it with him.

All the women in those pics on the book aren't really large or anything so I know I won't look like the end result or anything, but wondering if it will work for me.

also how do you deal with eating a buch of small meals through the day when I work retail, and having to prepare everything in advance?

The allowed foods don't seem like a lot and my hubby and I love Talipia and Mahi mahi fillets...Are they allowed as well?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer me.

Replies

• iT WORKS BUT YOU DO HAVE TO STICK WITH IT. YOU DO HAVE TO DO YOUR MEALS IN ADVANCE. YOU GET SMALL BREAKS RIGHT? I USED TO GET THE SHAKES AND HAVE IT AS A "MEAL" or a BAR. THEY TASTE A LOT BETTER THAN THEY USED TO ALSO. IT IS A EATING CHANGE AND QUITE MANAGEABLE. IF YOU EAT SMALL PORTIONSW AND WORK OUT, YOU WILL ACTUALLY BE HUNGRY IF YOU DON'T EAT. I FELT GOOD WHILE I WAS DOING IT, BUT THEN I HAD KNEE SURGERY. I AM STARTING AGAIN. DRINK LOTS AND LOTS!!!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    I had tilapia on it all the time. It's less expensive than salmon. They have some support sites like this one, as well, where you can talk to others following The program. Www.bodyforlife-tracker.com, bodyforlife.com, and bodyforlife-transformations.com.( which is Bill Phillips newest site since he left EAS.)
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Thanks. The other kink in the pants for me is that I am allergic to idodine and Myoplex shakes have iodine in them so I can't use them. Hoping to find another shake similer to the myoplex without iodine. I will check out the sites you posted. thanks!
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    My sister did it and lost a TONNE of weight. And looked fantastic. For me it was too difficult to stick with, I barely have time for 3 meals. There are Myoplex alternatives-go to your local healthfood store.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Thanks. The other kink in the pants for me is that I am allergic to idodine and Myoplex shakes have iodine in them so I can't use them. Hoping to find another shake similer to the myoplex without iodine. I will check out the sites you posted. thanks!

I know with his new site he is also marketing a different shake besides myoplex. I haven't tried it though. The only thing I know is that if you want to be part of the body for life challenge, you need to consume EAS products. I haven't used Myoplex for 3 years, I prefer using regular protein powder, with different frozen fruits, and skim milk. It's cheaper, and tastes better to me.
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    I did it back in 2001 and lost all of my "baby" weight - maybe 30 lbs or so if I remember correctly (from 175 down to 145). It definitely works, just like any balanced, lower calorie, relatively "clean" diet does.

Here's what I didn't like:
    - the weight routine. After doing more research and lifting over the past 10 years, I think there are better routines out there - I'd take a look at Stong Lifts or Starting Strength (just google them).
    - thinking about eating the proper foods in the proper amounts 5-6 times a day. This works for some people, but it drives me batty. Its' the same reason I don't do well on the zone. I try to eat well all day, but sometimes i just want my greek yogurt and don't feel like being bothered to make sure I have the right micronutrient ratio. In the end, this did me in and I couldn't stick with it.
    - HIIT. But man, does it work.

What I liked:
    - at the time, I enjoyed the weights.
    - the HIIT was effective
    - the diet plan was structured enough and was my first real introduction into eating "good" carbs and higher protein.

I gained all my weight back, but I don't really fault BFL for that (it didn't cause cravings or anything). It was all me - I went back to eating crap.

You don't have to do Myoplex / EAS (unless you officially join the challenge I suppose). Just substitute whatever protein shake / powder you want. I do drink an EAS Advantedge chocolate shake (premixed) almost every day. It's one of the very few things I can tolerate before I work out in the AM.
  • mommynmotion
    mommynmotion Posts: 149 Member
    Hi! I did Body For Life in 2001 also. I had just had a baby (gained 80 pounds while pregnant). I had lost most of it when I started BFL. I lost about 15 pounds which took me to 12 pounds below my prepregnancy weight!

I am doing the program again now. I didn't follow the food last time, just followed WW's but WW's wasn't working for me for some reason now. I am following the food this time. I actually like it! I like to graze anyway though. I am using Body Fortress Protein Powder from Walmart once or twice per day in water...that way I can just take it with me and not worry about it going bad. I use the bars...only when I have to. I like them too much and was eating too many bars!

I am not losing weight yet, but I am building muscle, that's for sure! I feel good about it. I believe weight lifting is the way to go and HiiT is awesome....the program just works and is easy for me to do. I was doing about an hour and a half of exercise recently and when I cut back to this...it seems easy to fit in!

The Body For Life website has an updated list of foods and recipes on it too!

Good luck!
  • My wife and I did the Body for Life weight-lifting combined with the Atkin's diet about 10 years ago. It was very effective. At the time, she was about 40 and she looked fantastic. Typically, my understanding is that most women don't have enough testosterone to bulk up the way men do with weight-lifting. She looked lithe and lean.....Just counting calories and using the exercise program should work quite well.
  • bonbon1472003
    bonbon1472003 Posts: 31 Member
    Bill Phillips, just found new Bill Phillips website. Its http://www.transformation.com/pages/public/welcome
    he also has 3 videos on a web site. http://thisweekin.com/
    it's under the the name: transformation

he looks so different from his Body for Life days
This discussion has been closed.