Truvia vs. Splenda vs. Equal vs Sweet N Low

Options
kelfeene
kelfeene Posts: 78 Member
I have read some threads and posts which quote that "NO CALORIE SWEETENERS" actually are not great for various reasons, including, makes it more difficult to lose weight.

I want to hear your comments, opinions, experiences, regarding this topic.

Obviously, there is a taste difference between them. Splenda is actually my favorite, in regards to taste (BUT I have not tried Truvia.)

Replies

• cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Splenda, Equal, and Sweet n Low are all processed sweetners which do make it harder to lose weight and are not that good for you in general. Truvia is a mix of a processed sweetner and Stevia. Stevia is all natural, it is a plant that is made into a sweetner. So, Stevia would be the best option, Truvia probably the next best. Stevia does have a little bitter taste when you use a large amount (baking and cooking) so I would opt for Truvia when using larger amounts. But I use Stevia every morning in my coffee and you need barely any for the 6 oz I drink to make it sweet.
  • smc1277
    smc1277 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Personally I use Splenda, I have heard good things about Truvia. In reality none are probably good for you but I like to add a little sweet to some things.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I use Splenda and hasn't seemed to affect my losses. I eat in moderation and not on a "clean frenzy" diet. I prefer to enjoy foods and not restrict things.

Truly, it's your own preference and beliefs...those above are mine.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Stevia is the way to go, I love it!
  • RochelleBlack
    Options
    From what I have read (and I have done a LOT of reading lately) Stevia is actually the sweetner of choice, because it comes from a natural source and is not man made like the other sweetners you've mentioned. It is absolutely what I use.
  • VerySherry
    Options
    Splenda is my favorite too! Truvia is ok... Not nearly as sweet as Splenda and if you had to much,it tastes bitter. I'm cutting back on how much Splenda I put in my tea and trying to use Truvia more often. The Doctors I've worked with at the hospital think artifical sweetner is terrible for your body and your mind. It has been linked to short term and long term memory loss as well as "Old-timers." I have noticed since I've cut way back that my memory is improving! FYI, I was drinking 4 liters of Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper a day!!!
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    As for taste, my favorite is Splenda. However, I avoid using artificial sweeteners as much as possible. I find that my sweet tooth is more satisfied with fruit if I don't use the artificial sweeteners and I avoid anything else excessively sweetened with anything. Another plus, instead of half a cake, when I do indulge I'm content with one slice. So far this year I have trained my tastes to drink and enjoy black coffee and I actually like plain greek yogurt (although I do add nuts or fresh fruit sometimes).
  • kimeister
    kimeister Posts: 212
    Options
    Given the 5 cal difference in a teaspoon of sugar versus artificial sweeteners, I use regular sugar in my coffee. I'd rather take the 5 extra calories than add another processed food to my diet.
  • kelfeene
    Options
    kelika -- Congrats on your 100 LBS!!!!! OMG you are awesome! Thanks for the advice.

very sherry - - Congrats on your 39! Great job! I appreciate your 'doctor says' advice! I can use all the memory I can get!

Rochelle - I never thought of it being MAN MADE! Thanks for pointing that out!

Angella4 - I will have to give it a shot!

LillysGranny - I will try to make my coffee be appreciated SOLID BLACK! grrrrrrr... :)... I love an apple!
  • kelfeene
    Options
    KiMiester - 5 calories! THATS IT????!!!!! WOW! I always thought sugar was bbbbbaaaadddd and was avoiding it like an Egyptian plague!
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    I literally just switched to Stevia this past weekend after being a Splenda girl for years. I honestly don't know if either sweetener will hinder your weight loss, but I switched because I'd rather have something that is more natural, like Stevia, and less artificial, like Splenda which apparently has chlorine (yikes!)!
  • appleofmyeye
    Options
    Unless you have health reasons not to (diabetes, etc.), I'm going to suggest use real sugar! In moderation, it won't hurt you, and a small amount of real sugar (or honey, maple syrup, agave, sucanat, etc.) won't make that much of a caloric difference. Plus, they will definitely do a better job of satisfying your sweet tooth. :)
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    EXACTLY! Go for Stevia.

Everyone wants to know the same thing: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/220306-so-confused?page=1#posts-2904622
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I use it all, Equal in coffee, sweet n low in Ice tea, Truvia on Grapefruit....etc.
    And if it's going to make me die, so be it. I'll die happy :)
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    bump