Rollerblading - the calorie burner

Options
When I was younger I had a true passion for rollerblading. I've never been a runner, but once I put those roller blades on I was a blur on the street.

As time passed I outgrew/wore out my roller blades, and let's be honest - they're darn pricey to replace!
However, a few weeks ago I bit the bullet and got a new pair because I know that rollerblading will really help to tone my legs and help me get rid of this unsightly pudge that I have going on around my hips >.<

10 minutes of rollerblading and you've burned 80 calories. Does it get any better?

Last Sunday I roller bladed 8 miles. I did not realize 1) that I had gone that far or 2) that I had only been out for an hour. I was shocked. But, 8 miles and 1 hour later MFP said I had burned around 500 calories.

So, if you want a new challenge and want to get outside - try blading. Get yourself fitted in some solid roller blades, pay the extra for the wrist guards (don't want any broken bones here), knee pads and elbow pads are fine too, I personally don't use them because they hinder my movement, and get yourself a helmet. Find some debris-free, flat, well-paved ground (if you can find it) and start practicing. If you've been skiing, you can probably roller blade. If you can roller blade, you can skii (yay for winter activities right here!)

Replies

• mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    You know I used to blade, but I've always had problems with the skates hurting my ankles. They rub me raw, I have a brand new pair have never been worn. Got them for Christmas like 5 years ago and never used them. Any suggestions for the ankle problem. I use socks..Thanks and congrats on that burn...
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I love my blades, broke then out last week because of nice weather. I was pooped after an hour but felt great. I blade around my university because it has paved paths that are nice and wide for the maintenance golf carts and Gaters.
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I used to love my roller blades. But it seemed I never had any one to go with me and I felt that I was getting too old for them and never saw any one out on them any more so I got rid of mine. But you are right they are a great work out and do wonders for the legs but and thighs. They also help with core strenth as they force you to balance yourself. Great idea, Maybe I will have to look into getting a new pair. :):glasses:
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    if your rollerblades rub I recommend trying to get them tighter. Its hard for me to find that balance between no rubbing and cutting off my circulation. lol
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is the issue with me..Too loose and they rub, to tight no circulation....
  • mccaugkm
    mccaugkm Posts: 29
    Options
    You know I used to blade, but I've always had problems with the skates hurting my ankles. They rub me raw, I have a brand new pair have never been worn. Got them for Christmas like 5 years ago and never used them. Any suggestions for the ankle problem. I use socks..Thanks and congrats on that burn...

I got some SmartWool socks when I got my new blades. They're supposed to help wick away moisture and also help keep your feet from swelling.

My ankles will sometimes be sore after a trip out, but often times it is an indicator that my roller blades were just too tight. Today I got to the head of my street and had to stop and adjust the top latch.
    It also looks like some companies make an "ankle pad" - here is one website that I looked at:

http://proshop.iceskatingworld.com/proshop/index.cfm?cat=22

You might also try to find some thicker socks, cut them so that they just cover your heel/ankle, and see if that provides any extra comfort.

Then again, try out the new pair. It could be that your old pair was just worn out like my old skates.

Hope that helps :)
  • Victorian131
    Options
    I played ice and roller hockey until I was 17, its left me with really muscular legs but I have recently eaten myself out of any other figure it left me with. Reading this, I almost forgot how fun it was, I may go rummaging for my skates again to see if I still have my skills and if it has any effect on the waistline! Happy Blading everyone!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I was never good at rollarblading, but then again I've only been a couple times in my life. I'll stick to bicycling, thank you.
  • JLPearce12
    Options
    I wear two pairs of socks with mine, one smooth pair like mens dress socks and one regular pair of gym socks and now no more rubbing, the two pairs of socks do all the rubbing!! :)
  • 4gracealone
    Options
    I used to love my roller blades. But it seemed I never had any one to go with me and I felt that I was getting too old for them and never saw any one out on them any more so I got rid of mine. But you are right they are a great work out and do wonders for the legs but and thighs. They also help with core strenth as they force you to balance yourself. Great idea, Maybe I will have to look into getting a new pair. :):glasses:
    [/quote

I love to roller skate...I have rollerblades but since I grew up rollerskating I find it more enjoyable. I plan on skating tonight with my five grandchildren....it really is a good work out and keeps me feeling young ...any other older women out there skating????
  • katiebell003
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I used to rollerblade when I was younger and LOVED it. It was really one of the only forms of exercise that I used to do that I didn't mind doing. I was never an athlete as a kid but when I skated I had fun! I love the rhythm of skating, much like I assume runners do (I also am NOT a runner!). It's a great time to just mentally sort out all of those things that bother me. I'm really lucky to live close to an outdoor velodrome where I can skate at the bottom of the track on pretty flat ground. This is prime real estate as I live in the mountains and flat land is hard to come by! I'm just starting out after years of hiatus so I don't want to become some insane downhill skater...yet! Another bonus is that I know exactly how long a lap is (1/3 of a mile).

As for MFP is concerned... I wish there was some way to calculate more accurately how many calories you've burned. If there was a time and distance place that you could enter info, it could calculate your mph and calories more accurately, no? I also noticed that there are two places for skating in the exercise section. if you just type in 'skating' you'll see what I mean... and they have different calorie counts! Which one do you guys use?

I need to work on my posture a little more (sore back) and find exactly the right tightness for my skates (too tight and they make my calves cramp, too loose and my ankles bend in!) but all and all, I'm super excited to be back out there skating again!