Going out (alcohol)

Options
13»

Replies

• Ariyasnow1
    Ariyasnow1 Posts: 117
    Options
    Make sure you do a vigorous work out before you go out. This way you can implement beer in your diet and your body can eat up the calories/carbs.

Beer isn't any worst for you than a liquor based drink. It has no fat, and is around the same amount of calories as a shot of liquor. People most likely associate beer with weight gain because once you get impaired; it’s very easy to start snacking on high fat/calorie content bar food! Not to mention most people don't work out or have a healthy diet in place, and they drink more than their bodies can handle.

Check out this article: http://beer.about.com/od/beernutrition/a/beernutrition.htm

Now not saying you should drink 10 beers in a row. Alcohol in general isn't good for your diet, but in my opinion - it’s not going to kill you or your diet if you consume a few. I consume a couple vodka club soda w/lime after working out, and I never have any issue gaining any weight back (key word here is ‘a couple’ or ‘a few’).

Check out this calorie/carb reference guide for beer:
    http://www.beer100.com/beercalories.htm

Don't be a complete slave to your diet. You’re allowed to have fun 'in moderation' :)

Good luck!
  • Chrissy_Michelle
    Chrissy_Michelle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    For those commenting that a 3-4 lb gain seems like a lot of beer, its not just the beer, its the water that you retain after drinking alcohol. That's why it seems like loosing 5 lbs a week, and gaining back 3-4 lbs. In actuality, you';re probably just dropping and re-holding the same 3 lbs of water each week. Ignore those 3-4 lbs, and if you are still losing weight (which in your case looks to be about 1-2 lbs a week) then it is working.

BUMP!
  • jbconnelly
    jbconnelly Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Best answer so far! Good advice. I'll have to give mgd64 a shot!
  • DeenaSteelerGirl
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I can't go without my weekend beer. LOL... but true. I enjoy having a few on the weekends. So this weekend I tried the Select 55. I usually dring Coors Light. Must be honest was not that great.. so I am going buy for next weekend MGD 64, I hear that is a better tasting lower cal. beer. If not F--- It.. I will not give everything up.. I will stick to Coors light and workout extra hard and watch what I eat. Good luck.
  • mitchman123
    mitchman123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try one light beer, then one mineral water, then think what you want to do for the 3rd round that way you are social and working towards your goal and not totally giving up beer.
  • jbconnelly
    jbconnelly Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I can't go without my weekend beer. LOL... but true. I enjoy having a few on the weekends. So this weekend I tried the Select 55. I usually dring Coors Light. Must be honest was not that great.. so I am going buy for next weekend MGD 64, I hear that is a better tasting lower cal. beer. If not F--- It.. I will not give everything up.. I will stick to Coors light and workout extra hard and watch what I eat. Good luck.

I'm going to jump on the 64 wagon. I don't drink to get drunk I just really like the taste and just being out with my friends. I'm just like you. Drink on the weekend and I love coors light! I guess I'll have to run an extra mile saturday morning from now on!
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    Best answer so far! Good advice. I'll have to give mgd64 a shot!

Ewwww! Good luck with that! It's really sad that something sooo freaking delicious and actually has some benefits (unlike hard alcohol) has to be so darn fattening! I have found that I can tolerate Corona lite or Michelob Ultra, but I really miss a nice smooth red IPA!
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    maybe you could find some other lighter beer that you like:

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slideshow/slideshow-best-beers#sharetagsfocus
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    If you're a pilsner type of guy this could take some getting used to but cutting out beer altogether is unrealistic. And light beer....ack, rather lick my shoe, spit in a glass and drink that.

Workout harder before you go, if you can, workout just before you go so you have a bit of the residual burn and your goals are in mind.

Drink the darker beers. Why>when they are disgusting if you're used to drinking American beer? Because they fill you up. Therefore you drink less.

So, if you can't give it up altogether, which is, of course the best option. Just drink less, and slower. Your friends won't notice you're nursing it.
  • mckant
    mckant Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm not a beer drinker (I have a HUGE weakness for sipping straight Malibu) but I might have to try some of these beers. I'm a golfer so these are good ideas for some summer drinks. :drinker:
  • Alchemistress
    Options