Doctor's help?

Options
Alright. I need to lose at least 80lbs if not more. I am up on my feet all day chasing around my 2 year old and carrying my 4 month old around. I do Zumba and Dance Central on a daily basis. I try to stay 100 under the calories I am allowed. I've been able to lose 4 pounds by even by counting calories, I seem to be gaining it back even if I am working out and watching what I eat.

In 2 weeks, I have an appointment to get my Thyroid checked. When I got pregnant with my daughter they said my thyroid was fine but they found the Thyroid Antibodies and put me on meds ASAP. When I was put on them, I dropped 15lbs (while pregnant).

So here is my question: When is it appropriate to get a doctors help with weight loss? I know some doctors prescribe you something and then send you to a dietitian. I feel like I may need more help than what I can give myself. :(

Replies

• crystal10584
    Options
    I think you should do it when you can no longer do it on your own. Eat back your exercise calories. make sure you are drinking at minimum 8-8oz glasses of water per day. That's a big one. Watch your sodium intake as well. :)
  • cframe800
    cframe800 Posts: 11
    Options
    I dont think it would hurt to mention it to your dr......and see what they say......

I need to loose at least 70 pounds......when I started this I was right around 255 (post pregnancy) and now I am right around 250/251......so I def need to get under 200 but I would like to be at 180/185!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I can't see how talking to a doctor would hurt, particularly if there's a real chance of a thyroid issue.
  • TabbyLeAnn
    TabbyLeAnn Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am dying to be under 200lbs. I'm 263 at the moment. It's the heaviest I have ever been and I hate it. I'll mention it to my doctor and see what he says
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Talk to the doctor, get him to send you to a dietician, but pass on the weight loss meds. If your system may be at risk for any type of metobolic issue, see if it could be corrected by healthier eatting and moderate exercise...maybe there will be no need for drugs.
  • TabbyLeAnn
    Options
    Talk to the doctor, get him to send you to a dietician, but pass on the weight loss meds. If your system may be at risk for any type of metobolic issue, see if it could be corrected by healthier eatting and moderate exercise...maybe there will be no need for drugs.

Alright. Sounds good. I would much rather not be put on any meds. I really hope a dietitian can help me. If I had it my way, I'd be 160 by my 26th birthday (Dec 18th)
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    My standard reply to those that are not losing at the expected rate is : are you measuring (not estimating) EVERYTHING that passes your lips and how accurate is your assessment of your exercise burn? I believe (and the data support) that we underestimate our calories in and overestimate our calories burned. Otherwise, my advise is to make sure your protein is adequate and true and cut the carbs. A discussion with your doctor is certainly appropriate and if your thyroid function is low, replacement will be necessary to have a healthy weight loss. Good luck!
  • TabbyLeAnn
    Options
    My standard reply to those that are not losing at the expected rate is : are you measuring (not estimating) EVERYTHING that passes your lips and how accurate is your assessment of your exercise burn? I believe (and the data support) that we underestimate our calories in and overestimate our calories burned. Otherwise, my advise is to make sure your protein is adequate and true and cut the carbs. A discussion with your doctor is certainly appropriate and if your thyroid function is low, replacement will be necessary to have a healthy weight loss. Good luck!

Everything I put in my mouth is weighed and true to it's count. I'll have to start double checking the calories lost while working out. Thanks for the advice!