Opinions/advice on Multi-Vitamins? RDA?

jennac27
jennac27 Posts: 6
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
Hi folks--

Awhile back I read some research that multi-vitamins basically do nothing for you, and may actually be slightly bad for you (e.g. small increases in certain types of cancers). I am a very evidence-based person--I work in research and evaluation so I generally am pretty good at identifying a good-quality study, and I put a lot of stock in their results. So I have not been taking multi-vitamins since I read this research.

However, since joining MFP a few weeks ago, I have been SHOCKED to see how little of my RDA of vitamins and minerals I consume through my regular diet, even when I think I am eating pretty healthily (snacking on yogurt, fruit, and nuts, meals of lean meats, salad, brown rice, etc).

Does anyone know how the RDA's are calculated, and whether they are accurate regarding what is needed to maintain health? And I would love some advice or knowledge about the pros and cons of multivitamins.

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    I'm not an expert. (Great start right?) but I think that the recommendations are really low. It's like, bare minimum. I do NOT think that multivitamins are bad. Some are fantastic! I really doubt horrible things happening to you if you take them. Make sure you take at least one day off a week from taking a multi, because some of the vitamins are fat soluble, so you need a day so you don't O.D. on those ones.

I've read that multivitamins MAY do nothing much for you, but the point of one article I read was that people that take multi's are more healthy - could be from the vitamins, and could be from the mere fact that they are taking them, so they are more conscious of their health in general.

I wouldn't sweat it. I take vitamins all the time, and notice big differences with some of them (like calcium+magnesium, for muscle soreness, and Hawthorne for my heart [although that's an herb]...).

What we eat is so depleted of nutrients, that I think we could all use a multi in our day. :smile:
  • ElizabethRN59
    ElizabethRN59 Posts: 168 Member
    I myself take nutrilite brand vitamins, they are the Number one vitamin and supplement company in the world... best on the market (in my personal opinoin)! I personally take double X (which is the like the rolls royce of vitamins) and i notice that if i miss a day, i just feel wiped out! I know most OTC vitamins are tar based and therefore do nothing for you really, but nutilite vitamins are water soluble and because of that, you get all they have to give.... Good luck with your research on this topic!
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    but nutilite vitamins are water soluble and because of that, you get all they have to give.... Good luck with your research on this topic!
    Then they must not have vitamin E and A right? Those are fat solubles... How do they achieve that?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    I take a calcium supplement (generic Viactiv) and a gummi multivitamin for adults (hate pills!) and I really think they are helping. I have a lot more energy and feel generally healthier when I take them. It helps me get my nutrients when I'm on such a low-calorie diet.
This discussion has been closed.