Tone-up shoes

Options
I would like some opinions on the tone-up shoes. Has anyone tried them and if so, would you recommend them? I can't decide if I should just invest in a new pair of walking shoes or if the tone-ups would be a better option. I saw on QVC where Sketchers is offering a new tone-up shoe that looks like a regular walking shoe, but works like a tone-up. Thinking about getting this one, but I wanted opinions on them before I invested in this. Any help is appriciated!

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have read several studies from multiple sources that those shoes dont really work.
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have the Reebok Retones and I LOVE them! I don't know if they work or not, but they make you feel like you're walking on sand! When you put them on, you just want to run! :laugh:
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    The claim to "tone" is false. The sketchers ones look horrid anyways. If you want to get a shoe that "tones" definitely go with Reebok. They make good shoes and they look better. You can run in the Reebok toning shoes too, and you can't run in the Sketchers ones. Well, you can, but it will be difficult, uncomfortable, and you'll look ridiculous lol
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have the Sketchers tone-ups that look like regular walking shoes and I love them! Now, I wouldn't go replacing just walking in them with all other exercise activities, but I actually did feel a bit of a difference when I started using them. My mom has the old style and she likes them, but she said they actually kind of hurt her feet. So I would suggest wearing them around the store for a few minutes to see how they feel and if they are right for you!
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    I have Sketchers tone ups and I can tell you I feel a difference when I use the treadmill with those VS my walking shoe. I feel it more in my calfs and in the back of my thighs more the next day.
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    i have the reebok easy tone. When I walk for a long period of time my toes go numb.... So I personally wouldn't recommend them. I spent alot of money and was very disappointed. And when I do the Leslie Sansone videos my toes are so numb that they are sore when I am done.... and as for toning I don't think they do anything of that.... :ohwell:
  • atrayubrandy
    atrayubrandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Just an aside, the sketcher shape-ups and the MBTs are NOT meant for working out. You can wear them while you take a leisurely stroll around the block or while buying groceries or running errands but DO NOT wear them running or to the gym. I used to work at a upper-end shoe store and the representative from MBT told us all the repercussions of wearing them as "athletic" shoes. Don't do it.

To answer your question, I do believe toning shoes do something positive for your body but I don't believe they do much. They are great for if you suffer from plantar fasciitis. I wore a pair for a day and found that my posture was better and that I was breathing deeper. I believe that you probably do burn a few more calories a day and activate some muscle activity but as far as actual weight loss or toning is concerned, I think it's just a gimmick and not worth the money. I would equate the actual "burn" to doing 4 extra squats during the day.

If you do decide to give them a try, here's my advice. MBTs are around $250 and the only difference between an MBT and the sketcher shape-up is a tiny plastic layer built in to the insole that doesn't seem to do anything special. I'd save $150 and go for a generic brand. Rebook and New Balance have also come out with toning shoes that look like plain sneakers. There's not much to them in terms of support but you can probably put in an orthotic and be fine.
  • mickimause
    Options
    I have the New Balance ones, and I love them. I can most definitely feel the pull in my calves and the back of my thighs when I use them on the treadmill. Also, they look just like regular sneakers. I wear them almost everywhere, even though I know you're only supposed to wear them for exercise. At work, I sit most of the day, so I wear them for those few occasions when I actually get to get up & move. I drive most places - we live in the boonies, and the closest anything is miles away - so when I grocery shop or whatever, I want all the help I can get. I don't feel it as much then, but I'm not putting as much effort into my walking as I do when I'm on the treadmill. And the weather has been abysmal, so walking outside is out of the question for now...sigh. I don't run, so can't speak to how they'd be for that.

Whether they 'work' or not - I dunno. Feels like it to me, but I have no proof.
  • atrayubrandy
    atrayubrandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i have the reebok easy tone. When I walk for a long period of time my toes go numb.... So I personally wouldn't recommend them. I spent alot of money and was very disappointed. And when I do the Leslie Sansone videos my toes are so numb that they are sore when I am done.... and as for toning I don't think they do anything of that.... :ohwell:

If your toes are going numb, your shoes are probably too small. With athletic shoes, of any kind, you want to go one to two sizes bigger than what you normally wear. You want half to a full thumbs-print between the tip of your toe and the end of your shoe. I used to have the same problem with my toes going numb until I learned that it was a sizing issue, not a shoe issue.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I have the Reebok Retones and I LOVE them! I don't know if they work or not, but they make you feel like you're walking on sand! When you put them on, you just want to run! :laugh:

I agree. They didn't tone anything, but they're easily the most comfortable sneakers I've ever worn. They have them pretty inexpensive at Marshalls, like $50.
  • triciaw1975
    Options

I do the Leslie Sansone videos also. Thanks for letting me know that.
  • triciaw1975
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appriciate all the info!:smile:
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    I have the Sketcher Shape-ups and I wear them when walking on the treadmill. I used to get horrible foot pain when walking on there, but now I don't. I don't know if they do any toning, but just being able to be pain free while walking is worth every penny.
  • Ariyasnow1
    Ariyasnow1 Posts: 117
    Options
    I would agree that you might see minuscule results and might burn a bit more calories walking. I personally would take the money and invest it in work out DVDs/personal trainer/gym membership. You'll see far better results on your body if you actually work your muscles out and target your core/areas you want to tone. Don't rely on walking alone or rely in a so called easy 'toning' shoe. I believe nothing is 'easy' or free in life.
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't have any studies to cite, but I have read that there is no real study that shows they do what they say they do. However, I have hypermobility in my joints, especially in my hips and my physical therapist suggested getting the cheap ones just to learn to balance.

I was also told that they are not meant to wear while working out. Alot of MA's and Nurses wear them to work. I know some people who wear them around the house. But I would think working out anymore than a light stroll would be somewhat damaging to the natural positioning and alignment of the body. But I don't know... I'm to clumsy to even attempt such a thing. I fell in the store just trying the dang things on!:laugh:
  • TatysTurn
    TatysTurn Posts: 15
    Options
    They might work if you are a fitness person already.
    I have them and i got so tired -they are just looking at me now.
    Maybe after i loose some more weight i will try them again.