running shoes

CuteMommy88
CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok so I have just recently started running, and i didnt really think i needed to buy new shoes but....I am running in nike shox that are about 6 years old, I mean I havent worn them a whole lot and they pretty much look new but when I am running my big toes hurt, and one feels bruised, when I do the elliptical my toes actually go numb completely...the shoes dont feel too small, they are actually very comfortable, but im just wondering if maybe it is time to get new shoes...what are good running shoes?

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    nike shox are probably the WORST shoes you could run in! lol....i suggest heading to a running shoe store and getting fitted. Even if you dont purchase there, figure out what type of foot and running style you have. This will help prevent shin splints and is SO important in making running enjoyable. If you have a price limit, tell the store and they should work with you. However, getting fitted is 100% worth it as opposed to buying unaware of your foot's needs!
  • krystie99
    krystie99 Posts: 42 Member
    Go to a running speciality store... they assess your foot and gait so you get a perfect shoe to run in. They are a bit more expensive, but being pain free is worth it to me. My favorite are Asics.
  • maggie4097
    maggie4097 Posts: 156
    I use Asics Gel 1160's. Shoes that are 6 yrs old a probably too worn out. You can go to a specialty running store, and they will look at your old shoes (how they are worn), how you walk or run, and recommend a running shoe that is right for you. I am fairly new to running too, and I have found that shoes make or break me! You will quit if you are in pain, so do your best to be comfortable! Be prepared to spend a little $--up to 100 bucks or more for good shoes. Good luck!
  • I went to REI to get fitted and have my gait checked... then I chose shoes from a catalog like EasyBay to make my choice of sneaker.... I ended up with Mizuno... not the cutest things but my feet and knees love them
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Shoes are good for running for 6 months or 600 miles which ever comes first. I totally agree with the running store advice. I took this advice about a month ago and it is the best thing I have ever done for myself! Fairly pain free (two surgically repaired knees so fairly is awesome) and I have had no issues at all with my feet! I ended up with a pair of Saucony's. Love them!
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    I use Asics Gel 1160's. Shoes that are 6 yrs old a probably too worn out. You can go to a specialty running store, and they will look at your old shoes (how they are worn), how you walk or run, and recommend a running shoe that is right for you. I am fairly new to running too, and I have found that shoes make or break me! You will quit if you are in pain, so do your best to be comfortable! Be prepared to spend a little $--up to 100 bucks or more for good shoes. Good luck!

I love the aesics 1160s !!!! love love love them, switched to saucony once cause they didnt have my size. NEVER AGAIN.

im a die hard aesics running shoe supporter
  • asmockwv
    asmockwv Posts: 3 Member
    I too had trouble with my toes feeling cramped when I exercise, but if I went up a size, the heals rubbed. Ryka make running and walking shoes that are perfect. They are narrow at the heal and wider at the toe and ball of the foot.
  • pixycats
    pixycats Posts: 62
    It definitely depends on your feet and running style what will be best for you, so getting fitted is probably the best idea! I did that a few years back and took home a pair of Saucony's; I love love love them!!! I've continued buying new pairs whenever I wear my old ones out now, and I've never been disappointed with how easy I can run wearing them (with bad knees and ankles, it's a real treat!)
  • kimklix
    kimklix Posts: 2
    I'm a racewalker and I use New Balance primarily. Everyone has their preference. My husband prefers Asics. Brands do not matter as much as fit. It sounds like your shoes are too small. When you run (or walk fast like me), your feet will stretch at the bottom of your stride. They will also slide forward sometimes. So, your running shoes should be a size (or two) larger than your regular shoes. I wear a size 7 normally, but my running shoes are size 8 or 8 1/2 depending on the style. Also, you'll need 2 pairs of running shoes. It's a good idea to not wear the same pair of shoes every day. Alternating keeps the pressure spots from taking too much of a beating. I would suggest getting fitted properly by a store that deals strictly with running/walking activities. I don't know where you live, but in my area, we have stores like Running Fit, Total Runner, and New Balance. Spare no expense on your feet, they will thank you for it by not hurting! Good luck and Happy Trails!
This discussion has been closed.