11 Tips for Exercising Regularly

Options
11 Tips for Exercising Regularly

Exercise is one of the keys to happiness.

Research shows that people who exercise are healthier, more energetic, think more clearly, sleep better, and have delayed onset of dementia. They get relief from anxiety and mild depression, comparable to medication and therapy. They perform better at work.

Also, although it’s tempting to flop down on the couch when you’re feeling exhausted, exercise is actually a great way to boost energy levels. Feeling tired is a reason to exercise, not a reason to skip exercise.

But even when you admit that you’d feel better if you exercised, it can be very hard to adopt the habit. My idea of fun has always been to lie in bed and read, preferably while also eating a snack, but I’ve managed to keep myself exercising by using all these tricks on myself:

1. Always exercise on Monday. This sets the psychological pattern for the week.

2. If at all possible, exercise first thing in the morning. As the day wears on, you’ll find more excuses to skip exercising. Get it checked off your list, first thing.

3. Never skip exercising two days in a row. You can skip a day, but the next day, you must exercise, no matter how inconvenient.

4. Give yourself credit for the smallest effort. My father always said that all he had to do was put on his running shoes and close the door behind him. Many times, by promising myself I could quit ten minutes after I’d started, I got myself to start—and then found that I didn’t want to quit, after all.

5. Think about context. I thought I disliked weight training, but in fact, I dislike the guys who hang out in the weight-training area. Are you distressed about the grubby showers in your gym? Do you try to run in the mornings, but recoil from going out in the cold? Examine the factors that might be discouraging you from exercising.

6. Exercise several times a week. If your idea of exercise is to join games of pick-up basketball, you should be playing practically every day. Twice a month isn’t enough.

7. If you don’t have time to both exercise and take a shower, find a way to exercise that doesn’t require you to shower afterward. Twice a week, I have a very challenging weight-training session, but the format I follow doesn’t make me sweat. (Some of you are saying, “It can’t be challenging if you don’t sweat!” Oh yes, believe me, it is.)

8. Look for affordable ways to make exercising more pleasant or satisfying. Could you upgrade to a nicer or more convenient gym? Buy yourself a new iPod? Work with a trainer? Get a pedometer to keep track of your walking distances? Exercise is a high life priority, so this a worthwhile place to spend some money if that helps.

9. Think of exercise as part of your essential preparation for times you want to be in especially fine form—whether in performance (to be sharp for an important presentation) or appearance (to look good for a wedding) or mood (to deal with a stressful situation). Studies show that exercise does help.

10. Remember one of my favorite Secrets of Adulthood, courtesy of Voltaire: Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Don’t decide it’s only worth exercising if you can run five miles or if you can bike for an hour. I have a friend who scorns exercise unless she’s training for a marathon—so she never exercises. Even going for a ten-minute walk is worthwhile. Do what you can.

11. Don’t kid yourself. Belonging to a gym doesn’t mean you go to the gym. Having been in shape in high school or college doesn’t mean you’re in shape now. Saying that you don’t have time to exercise doesn’t make it true.

People often ask me, “So if I want to be happier, what should I be doing?” and I always say, “The first thing to do is to make sure you’re getting plenty of sleep and plenty of exercise.”

I know that answer doesn’t sound properly transcendent and high-minded on the subject of happiness, but research shows that you’d be wise to start there. And I’ve found that if I’m feeling energetic and well rested, it’s much easier to follow all my other happiness-inducing resolutions.

--by Gretchen Rubin, of The Happiness Project.

Replies

• modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Love it!

12. Just because you go to the gym/are at the gym doesn't mean you are actually getting anything done! When your at the gym work hard and don't socialize!

13. If you excercise regularly you will at some point feel "wrong" if you don't exercise.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • InfamousQ
    InfamousQ Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    this is some good info thanks for the tips I am going to email this to my wife....
  • aneumany
    aneumany Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    nice, thanks, needed to hear that!
  • johannahooks
    Options
    Awesome motivation. I was sitting here, exhausted, and not wanting to run tonight...but I'm definitely going to now!
  • kkruse08
    kkruse08 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    so is it true that eventually you will look forward to the workout and if so, about how long before i get to that point??
  • killer_cupcake
    killer_cupcake Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    awesome i love this. It's so true. I wish we had a gym here where i live i have to do everything at home the nearest one is 2 hours lol
    But that is true just because you belong to a gym means your using it.
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    Loving this post.....very motivating :bigsmile:
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Great post! Particularly number 4!

"4. Give yourself credit for the smallest effort. My father always said that all he had to do was put on his running shoes and close the door behind him. Many times, by promising myself I could quit ten minutes after I’d started, I got myself to start—and then found that I didn’t want to quit, after all. "

This is always my goal... no matter how much I don't want to go and whatever excuses I try to tell myself (it's cold, i'm tired etc.) I promise myself that if i at least do 20 minutes walk on the treadmill I can go home and it will have been a success... skip to an hour later and i'm usually bouncing back from the gym with a massive grin on my face knowing that i've been pro-active and had a good session and have bagged another 4-500 exercise calories! You can't beat that feeling!

And ditto on the, if you go enough it'll become strange to not go! I never go a day without going for at least a half an hour brisk walk. It makes me feel too good to not do it!
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    *LIKE* :D
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have Gretchen Rubin's book on my wishlist on Amazon...thanks for this, great advice!
  • nimmi1302
    nimmi1302 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Love and totally agree with all your tips. #2 and #5 are esp true for me . Would LOVE to just workout in the am, but waking up is an issue....
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    SarahJaneDeschamp Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    great post :)
  • RichB77
    RichB77 Posts: 88
    Options
    Great post!!

:drinker:
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Great list, totally copying it.

My favorites are 5 and 10; it's important to keep context, it's usually something specific that you don't like, not the activity itself. Refusing to do something unless it's perfect is a good way to not do anything at all.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    I'm a definite believer in #1.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    My father always said that all he had to do was put on his running shoes and close the door behind him.

This!

My blog is called "Step 1 - Put on your shoes" :)
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    bump. i like it.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    "Feeling tired is a reason to exercise, not a reason to skip exercise. "

Love it.
  • lanenalatina
    lanenalatina Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I truly love it all the tips are great specially some of them. We should all folllowed ur tips. Thankz for sharing this with all of us:flowerforyou: