weighing food

Options
weighing my food has become part of my daily routine. So much so that I swear I must be obsessed. :-) Not really but it has really helped me learn portion control.

Sad I never thought about it before when I tried to lose weight.

Replies

• lijparsons
    lijparsons Posts: 258
    Options
    I have thought about getting a food scale so I can weigh my food. Especially meat. I find it hard to know how much chicken or steak I am actually eating.
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    I agree that you need to make it your routine.....its all too easy to start guessing (and be way off) and then all those extra calories start mounting up....then you're left wondering why you haven't lost weight!
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    I've thought about it as well - right now I'm using my best judgement with "eye-ing" some items.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    It's so worth it. I found that I would eat too much "dinner" meat (ie burgers, steak, etc) but the lunch meat was way under!
  • INSANITY43
    INSANITY43 Posts: 142
    Options
    I have Weight Watchers digital kitchen scale!!!! Love It!!!! Just last night my daughter said REALLY MOM! You are actually going to weigh the cheese? Yep! I don't weigh everything, but do often enough that I can eyeball pretty accurately when I have to.....
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    It is SO worth it! Much more accurate, no under or overestimating calories.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    A piece of meat the size of a deck of cards is 3-4 oz.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I "just" ordered a food scale before that I was eying portions and overestimating or underestimating at times. I'm excited to try out this scale especially since I am about to hit maintenance.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    It is one of the most important tools in loosing and maintaining your weight! I have a digital kitchen scale and 4 sets of measuring cups!
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    a good digital food scale is a very valuable tool! I weigh all my meat, and other food depending on how the nutrition value reads (like chips). Its a very simple step to take to be sure you are not going over on the portion, but that you're not under eating as well.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Getting a food scale was such a help to me . . .especially with meat and such . . .I would suggest investing in one. I used a Bed Bath and Beyond coupon and got mine for under 20 dollars.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    The scale has been a MUST for calculating out recipes. It gives me peace of mind knowing I"m getting as close as possible calorie wise. I use mine every day!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    much easier than trying to count broken chips and pretzels. I also live by my measuring spoons. I have to wash them daily.
  • keljo05
    keljo05 Posts: 173
    Options
    i'm so bad that I occasionally use the digital mail scale at work to weigh food here, lol
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I got a food scale last week and I love it! I was always guessing on my meat portions. Come to find out, I was eating half of what I was logging.