I heard a lot of good things about Trader Joe's.

Options
So what healthy items or snacks do you buy there?

Replies

• mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    peanut butter cream cheese....yummm
  • stephstrege
    stephstrege Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Love TJ'S in addition to the Co-Op that I go to.

-Shelled ready to eat Edamame
    -Whole Wheat Rye crisp crackers
    -Guacamole Hummus

The list goes on!!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Their prepared salads are awesome for lunch. And I swear by their pre-marinated mahi mahi
  • kpadilla411
    Options
    I buy their Tofu, Vegetables, low sodium rice cakes, hOney pretzel sticks, salads, my absolute favorite item of trader joes is Pasadena salad. It's so good, but a lot of calories.
  • stwyford12
    Options
    Yummy! I'll try it too...
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    - No salt added peanut butter
    - Check out their cereal selection
    - Fresh foods
    - Awesome granola
    - No pudge brownie mix
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    olive oil and sea salt popcorn

fiberful bars

greek yogurt 0% fat

mini ice cream cones (70 cal each!!) vanilla is best

dark chocolate wedges and dark choc caramel (60 or 70 cal for 2)

blueberry bran mini cakes w/ 1 tbsp sunflower seed butter

so much stuff.....just check it out but READ LABELS! just like any grocery store lol not all is good for you!
  • dietcokeplease
    dietcokeplease Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Love their frozen burritos! They fill you up and are usually under 300 C.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    You guys are killing me! SC just got its first Trader Joe's, but it's nowhere near where I live... we are supposedly getting one in the Charleston area, but it's on the other side of downtown from me, so going there would be a bit of a trek :( However, I'm happy we're getting one at all. I used to live near one when I was in law school but only went once the whole time, which is just crazy!!!
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    I know it makes me really lazy, but I buy the prepared steel cut oats. They come two servings to a box that you pop in the microwave for three minutes, add some blueberries and you have a great breakfast.

I also love their olive oil as you can't beat their prices.
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Love their plain Kefir, the individually wrapped 1oz. portions of goat cheese, the mango butter, they have the BEST nuts...so fresh, great price! Their whole wheat pastas are the best I've had. Great price on quinoa, whole wheat couscous. The frozen brown rice is amazing when you need rice NOW. The canned whole plum tomatoes are fabulous, as is their almond butter w/ sea salt. Great, cheap tofu and fresh whole wheat pizza dough ready to shape and bake. And, I love the 100 calorie chocolate bars to take to the movies and I keep the itty bitty tin of chocolate covered cocoa nibs (1 calorie each) in my purse for treats.
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Whoops, forgot their Basalmic Vinegar of Modena (little square bottle), it's so good I could drink the stuff. Love their white basalmic to mix with a T of OJ for dressing salads.
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I second the edamame! Shelled or in the pod, great balance of carbs and proteins. They don't actually need to be boiled, just let them soak in a bowl of boiling water, drain and they are ready to go.

Other things from TJ's: almond butter, greek style yogurt, freeze-dried berries (strawberries & blueberries are my fav), giant white beans (http://www.livingtraderjoes.com/2010/04/21/trader-joe’s-giant-white-beans/) are great in pasta, savory thin mini edamame crackers (http://www.glutenfreeislife.com/?p=1144) are nice & crunchy.

TJ's can be very healthy and unhealthy, you have to choose wisely!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    In addition to what others have posted, check out their dried fruit and nut selection. They have great prices on almonds and just about everything else. I love their whole, roasted pumpkin seeds. They only use a little salt unlike other brands where the whole outside is a solid coating of salt.

Sadly, while there are a few in Tucson, none are within 20 miles of me. I don't get to go as often as I'd like.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Oh! And I forgot to mention their amazing salt-free tomato sauces and purees!! They are so sweet and fresh tasting compared to regular brands :smile:
  • dmanakho
    dmanakho Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    2 buck chuck :bigsmile: :blushing:
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Whole Bean Coffee
    Almond Butter
    Almond Milk (unsweetened vanilla flavor)
    bananas (5 for 1.00 instead of xx per pound and my hubby eats a lot of bananas)
    2 buck chuck when I don't get farm raised meats
    Their chicken is really good
    Eggs when I get farm raised eggs
    Orange Juice for my husband
    Some fruits and veggies - theirs always taste good unlike the grocery store, there is no waxing coating

Country Style preservative free whole grain bread. My husband likes toast with it on occasion

The organic vanilla ice cream is the creamiest we have ever eaten. I haven't eaten it in quite a while because I have given up dairy, but my husband still eats it.
  • stephstrege
    stephstrege Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    2 buck chuck :bigsmile: :blushing:
    :laugh: :laugh:
  • nienie21
    nienie21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Loooooooove TJ :

Blueberry Flaxseed oatmeal
    100 Calorie Dark Chocolate bars
    Sliced Almonds
    Crumbled Goat cheese/Feta Cheese
    Pico De Gallo Salsa with Multigrain chips YUM!

Tons of other great stuff!
    :)