Strategies for dealing with caloric food in social situation

Options
Strategies for dealing with caloric food in social situations:

Drink a lot of water or tea. You'll always have something in your hands and something to sip at when other people are eating as you talk, and you won't feel tempted to grab something else. The water is always a bottomless cup, plus it's good for you!

In a situation when a plate of food is placed in front of you, immediately divvy up the plate into what you will eat and what you will not, and make the "what you will not" portions strictly off limits. Eat the rest of the food v.e.r.y. slowly, making sure to chew each bit fully.

In a dessert situation, ask if any fresh fruit is available. You can try the divvy method, but I think the key strategy is to avoid having anything at all placed in front of you -remove the plate immediately, or if it's something to be distributed to the entire table, be sure to pass it far away from you (preferably out of sight, and definitely out of reach). If people split up a dessert and serve you a piece without your request, remove the piece and say you are soooo full). Dessert situations are particularly tough. Tell yourself that it is overly sweet, sickeningly sweet. Think hard about when went into making that dessert and what the consequences will be, both physical and mental, if you eat it.

Some people recommend that you eat before going to the event. I'm up in the air on this one.

Advantages: you'll know you've eaten well that evening and the theory is you won't be hungry and overeat.

Disadvantages: the social situation can cause you to sample the foods or you'll feel a little nervous socially and engaging in another activity like eating will take off some pressure.

Sauces, dressings, gravies, etc tend to have a lot of calories and are so out of your control. Ask to have them on the side; if it's some disgustingly ridiculous calorie sink and you know in advance that you'd like to avoid altogether, ask for the dish without it.

Ask for the nutritional information of the meal before you start eating; you can avoid socially awkward situations by looking at the menu online before you go and either calling or arriving at the restaurant a touch earlier to ask about your planned dinner.

I like to eat vegetarian for the most part, but I've noticed that a vegetarian approach usually brings with it a pile of junky carbs, useless starches, sugars, and oils... basically anything but vegetables. As much as I'd prefer to remain vegetarian, I will be going with the lean meats at dinners.

If it's not awkward, bring your own food to the event. This strategy is of course not suitable to every event. If it's a hosted party, call the hostess/host and say something along the lines of, "I'm trying to follow a (new) diet and I'd like to bring along a dish to share with everyone. Would you mind letting me know your menu so that I can bring something that fits in well with it?" You won't offend the hostess/host, and you'll definitely have a safe option for yourself if everything else is problematic.

In the end, I think it's important to know yourself and how you behave with food in different kinds of social situations, and be mindful in advance so that you can plan accordingly.

Replies

• jneglia
    jneglia Posts: 4
    Options
    thanks, really helpful
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I like your idea of dividing up the plate before you even get it. Sometimes, I will just ask for half a portion. Even if it's not cheaper, I just don't want all that food on my plate or I will be tempted to eat it just out of boredom.