Need help! Ideas for 200 calorie small meals/snacks!

Options
I'm going to try eating all throughout the day instead of blowing all of my calories at lunch and dinner and starving the rest of the day. Does anyone have any good ideas for healthy 200 calorie(ish) small meals?
I'm especially interested in anything high in protein, since I won't be eating any meat-packed meals to get my daily amount.
I should add - I'm allergic to fresh fruits, vegetables, or uncooked nuts - it sounds made up but it's something called Oral Allergy Syndrome. Basically I'm allergic to proteins in them that are destroyed by the cooking process. I love any veggies or anything else cooked!
So any ideas would be most, most appreciated. Thank you.
What do you do for snacks? I would like to hear to get an overall idea.

Replies

• caesarslaw
    Options
    I'm not sure I understood what you are allergic to but...a good recipe for me is a slice of rye bread 80 cals with a wedge of light swiss spreadable cheese 35 cals and low fat ham or turkey about 60 calories per two slices and some form of veggie like cucumber or if not mustard. It's really filling surprisingly and you can eat it with a mini ear of corn on the cob which is only 90 cals.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    To regulate your blood sugar, try for three larger meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) and two to three smaller snacks.
  • natskedat
    Options
    And, I just read all of your allergies. Give me a minute.
  • Emmy_Ann
    Emmy_Ann Posts: 60
    Options
    Can you eat yogurt?? Light fit yogurt is super good and only 80 calories and you could have that with some Cascadia farms honey granola cereal.. 110-120 calories I believe.. Its super yummy, satisfies a sweet tooth and keeps you going at least for a few hours!
  • patty6473
    patty6473 Posts: 24
    Options
    One of my favorite "mini" meals is steamed shrimp with a steamed fresh vegetable and brown rice. It is 199 calories and delicious! You can double up on the rice, or add cocktail sauce if you can't have the veggies.

Great Value - Instant Brown Rice, 0.5 cup 75 17 1 2 1 0
    Generic - Fresh Green Beans, Steamed, 1 cup 44 10 0 2 4 0
    Walmart Frozen Shrimp - Shrimp, 3 oz 80 0 0 21 0 550
    Add Food Quick Tools 199 27 1 25 5 550

Also, a banana cut up into Jello Live Active chocolate pudding is good. It's about 140 calories, but well worth it!
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
    I'm not sure if you would be allergic to them, but Special K or Slim Fast meal replacement bars have a good amount of protein and are only 180-200 calories.
  • elyssiam
    elyssiam Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    6 oz of fat free plain Greek yogurt (high in protein), like Fage: 90 calories
    1 tbsp dark unsweetened cocoa powder: 10 calories
    1 tsp honey or agave nectar (or other sweetener): 16 calories
    1 tbsp chopped toasted walnuts: 48 calories.

= 164 calories. Filling and yummy. I've nearly burned the nuts (re: the cooking thing), and they're still good that way.

I hope you find something you enjoy!!
  • natskedat
    Options
    OK, try for whole grain granola bars and some jerkey. Whole milk cottage cheese with 1 tsp. of honey might work, as well.

Also, sometimes, we steam our veggies and let them cool, so the kids can eat green beans and the taste isn't so harsh. Try steaming carrots, sweet potatoes, and apples and adding them in to your diet.

Non-nut protein sources abound (lean meats, fish, tofu, vegetable proteins, edamame (cooked). Don't be afraid of adding steamed fruit to yogurt, either, if you're needing something a little sweeter.
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    One of my fave snacks is 1/2 cup dannon light & fit vanilla yogurt, with 1 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips, with 1 tbsp sliced raw almonds. However, you can take off the nuts or roast them first. But I love this because it can be breakfast, snack, or dessert. It's very yummy & I never get tired of it.

Another great idea is an apple with 1 tbsp peanut butter & string cheese. (Can you have peanut butter?)
  • superjae5
    superjae5 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I often use string cheese as a snack. Frigo's is like 80 calories and 5 or 6 gm protein. Also the "natural applesauce" little packs, they're 50, as a snack. For breakfast I often do Quaker Oats Instant Oatmeal. One packet is less than 200 (varies on which on you choose, I think Apple Cinnamon is the lowest). Oatmeal tends to stick with me a little longer, plus if you're on a 1200-cal diet, that leaves you 500 for lunch and dinner.

I'd try steaming veggies like broccoli, peppers (red, green, whatever you like), or asparagus and use lemon juice to flavor them. I don't mean to disagree with other recommendations, but peanut butter is extremely high cal, I'd probably avoid it...

Cottage cheese can often give you as many proteins as you'd get from meat, but with less calories. I use basil or garlic, or both, to flavor it and a low calorie cracker (maybe a bran one) and you can eat that as a snack. You can also use honey with some fresh or frozen fruit (minus too many bananas, they're kind of higher). There's always the traditional pineapple. Personally I like the basic or garlic treatment.

You can also get the 100-cal popcorn packs, since corn is kind of filling, and then you aren't as hungry throughout the day. Works for me when I'm really dying some days.

And one more thing, make some kind of low-cal rice dish (I've got a greek lemon that I think keeps it to 100 cal per cup). If you drink some water with your rice it will expand in your stomach, making you feel fuller to help you make it to the next meal. Best of luck, don't give up!
  • skinnyminnie
    skinnyminnie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I loved every single one of these comments, I like just about everything but had hit a brick wall brainstorming, thank you all very much! Now I can make my grocery list. ;)