I am the proud owner of...

A lump!

I have a lump on my right lower back and I just got it checked out by my doctor. It seemed to happen after playing tennis last Sunday and maybe using some muscles that I don't normally use. I have been lifting and working out a lot more, and she thinks its a muscle thing more than like a fatty tissue deposit (lipoid or tumor). I don't know, I'm worried about it and it hurts doing situps, driving, anything putting pressure against it on that side. I want to keep working out too! Someone suggested that it might be a muscle knot. Has anyone had anything similar or any ideas as to what it might be or what to do about it? I tried to massage it and put heat on it last night but it has seemed to get bigger and my girlfriend even noticed it was bigger since Tuesday night. I have to schedule an ultrasound my Dr. said so that we can get a better idea of what it is. I hope that she is on the right track...I've been misdiagnosed by her a bunch of times before and lost faith in Drs.

Thanks.

Replies

• joey16g
    joey16g Posts: 63
    A lump!

I have a lump on my right lower back and I just got it checked out by my doctor. It seemed to happen after playing tennis last Sunday and maybe using some muscles that I don't normally use. I have been lifting and working out a lot more, and she thinks its a muscle thing more than like a fatty tissue deposit (lipoid or tumor). I don't know, I'm worried about it and it hurts doing situps, driving, anything putting pressure against it on that side. I want to keep working out too! Someone suggested that it might be a muscle knot. Has anyone had anything similar or any ideas as to what it might be or what to do about it? I tried to massage it and put heat on it last night but it has seemed to get bigger and my girlfriend even noticed it was bigger since Tuesday night. I have to schedule an ultrasound my Dr. said so that we can get a better idea of what it is. I hope that she is on the right track...I've been misdiagnosed by her a bunch of times before and lost faith in Drs.

Thanks.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    UGGG! I hope you feel better soon!

I'm no expert on anything other than what my family has been through. But I wouldn't think if it was serious (ie: cancer) that it would grow that quickly. When my husband had a tumor it took a long time to grow, a year and a half. Keep us updated on your appointment. Good luck friend!
  • Vans
    Vans Posts: 388 Member
    hmm...If it got bigger after applying heat why not try cold? if you have Epsom salt maybe try applying some (or even add some to a bath)...Ive seen a person bathe in a bath of salt to loose excess water......this is just an idea. Other then that good luck with the ultrasound ect. :wink:
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    It really could just be a fat lump. My hubby has had a few, they just cut them out. No big deal. Sometimes I wish I could get rid of fat like that:wink: But get it checked out properly. Keep us posted
  • joey16g
    When you husband had the fat lump what was it like? This seems to be really hard right now and deeply embedded. There is nothing on the skin, so it would be hard to tell that it was even there unless you felt my back. Its not red or anything, at first I thought that it was a bruise until it seemed like it was fairly mobile and started to grow in size and did not bruise on the skin. What kind of doctor did he see to get a diagnosis or to get it removed? My chiropractor suggested a dermatologist but I'm not sure...I would hate to have them open me up to find out its not a fat lump. Its just really a strange thing, and annoyingly painful with pressure against it, (i.e. sitting, trying to do situps, driving, etc.). My girlfriend is calling it my alien baby growing out of my back. ahhhh my lumps, my lumps, my lumps!

Well, give me the lowdown on your hubby, thanks!
  • joey16g
    Does anyone think that it might be related to my kidney (due to the location) and the amount of protein that I'm eating now and protein powder with creatine? Maybe I can't process the amino acids and I have some kind of crazy kidney infection? I worry too much... sigh...
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    I hope that she is on the right track...I've been misdiagnosed by her a bunch of times before and lost faith in Drs.

Thanks.

Can you switch doctors??? I usually go to about 5 - 9 before I find one I like...and when I move I have to start all over again. If this one is not good at diagnosing you than it sounds like either - she does not communicate well with you (i.e. listen to you) or should not be a doctor to begin with.

Whatever the case with the doctor, best of luck to you and your lump - I hope it is a "nothing serious" type of thing.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Yeah, I have had fatty tumors as well. Had one removed from right side of torso, below arm pit, about level with my heart. And yes, it was hard, and would express some pain if I pressed against it. I have some other male friends that have also had them in their arms, and and such.
    If you don't trust your doc, then switch, period. Your health cannot be taken for granted, and if you don't have a good working relationship with your doc, or trust the doc's diagnosis skills, then find another one! Ask your friends for recommendations, and also look the doc's up online, do your research, and be as intelligent as possible. Ahh, but then you already knew all that, huh?
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    Sorry to hear that you've got this lump! I'd go ahead and see this doc you usually go to since it's scheduled. Then I'd get a second opinion if you are unsure of what they tell you. You have to take care of yourself first and make sure that you get a clear diagnosis. Good luck and keep us posted. We are interested in hearing what it is.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    I hope you find out what exactly it is soon. I would find a doctor you have faith in. Ask around for recomendations. It is your body and you put alot of effort into taking care of it. Seems to me it probably isn't just a normal kink in your muscle if it continues to grow. I would personally cut back on the protein shakes just for a little bit and see if that makes a difference since you are questioning it.

I hope you get to feeling better soon.
  • joey16g
    So I went in to the hospital yesterday for an ultrasound but the radiologist and ultrasound technician still don't know what it is. They think that it might be a muscle tear but aren't sure at all so now I guess that they are recommending an MRI to my regular doctor. I'll probably have to go for one of those as soon as possible.

Thanks for the recommendations. I heard about a family doctor that was pretty good from a friend of mine - someone that was more curious in finding solutions, generating a real diagnosis and working with his patients so I will probably check into switching at some point.

Will keep you updated after the MRI...wish me luck...
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Maybe it's your bio... the b... the... the bios... the... b... the bobopsy. Maybe it's your twin with a tooth or something.
  • joey16g
    thats what my girlfriend said...I hope that I'm not having a back baby
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Maybe it's your bio... the b... the... the bios... the... b... the bobopsy. Maybe it's your twin with a tooth or something.
    ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING :laugh: :sad: :laugh: :sad: :happy:

(Joey, that was a reference to the movie, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding")

But seriously Joey, hoping for the best with your MRI.
    I know as a female, we can get fatty lumps under our armpits which are actually excess breast tissue. I'm not talking about just large women either, I'm talking about any size, down to the lean and mean runner I work with.
    Not that I'm saying you have excess breast tissue sticking out your back, but I'm just saying there are all kinds of possibilities.
    Wishing you the best!!

BTW, had an MRI before???? If not, be sure to ask them for all the details. I had one on my brain and was panicked, to say the least. Just talk to them about it, in case you are claustrophobic or a panic-striken type person.
  • mknipp
    mknipp Posts: 106
    Joey, don't put it off. Doctors don't always know (or seem to care) when something that painful is really a serious problem. I have a "fatty tumor" on my back, but it's just below my neck between my shoulder blades. I didn't even know I had it until my sister saw it when we were on vacation getting ready to get in the pool. I've had it checked several times in the past ten years and it hasn't grown or bothered me at all. BUT.... it isn't painful like yours is. That tenderness could mean it's something more than a fatty tumor. Let us know what you find out. I'll say a special prayer for your good news.
    Marti
  • joey16g
    Thanks so much, I"ll let you know what is going on when I know more - I have to schedule my "CT scan with and without contrast" right now. These hospitals and places suck when making appts. I called one and the first appt. I can get is 2-3 weeks out! That is BS!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    It always takes that long to get an appointment. sigh. It sucks. Try not to sweat it.
  • When you husband had the fat lump what was it like? This seems to be really hard right now and deeply embedded. There is nothing on the skin, so it would be hard to tell that it was even there unless you felt my back. Its not red or anything, at first I thought that it was a bruise until it seemed like it was fairly mobile and started to grow in size and did not bruise on the skin. What kind of doctor did he see to get a diagnosis or to get it removed? My chiropractor suggested a dermatologist but I'm not sure...I would hate to have them open me up to find out its not a fat lump. Its just really a strange thing, and annoyingly painful with pressure against it, (i.e. sitting, trying to do situps, driving, etc.). My girlfriend is calling it my alien baby growing out of my back. ahhhh my lumps, my lumps, my lumps!

Well, give me the lowdown on your hubby, thanks!

I have a fat lump on my back. It is not the normal kind that most people get where they cut them out. Mine is on top of a muscle but close to my spine, it’s about 2 inches long. I was sent to a dermatologist who sent me to plastic surgery where they liposuction it out. Only problem with that is they can’t get all the cells out that cause it to grow so it does come back. I hope your scans come back with something that is not serious.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    A lump!

Thanks.

My husband had one on his forearm, then one day lifting weights he bumped it, it seemed to start growning right then and there, it was a hard knot. He got it removed and it was just a fatty tumor, I wouldn't worry about it, yet get it removed so you are able to comfortably workout, I'm convinced it is the same thing my hubby had :smile: good luck!
  • joey16g
    Thanks, I hope so!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!