Easter Side dish

Options
lvcsy1
lvcsy1 Posts: 28
Happy Easter!!

Every Easter my whole family gets together for a bbq. This year we are doing chicken kabobs, and I need to bring a side. I want to bring something I will be able to enjoy without feeling guilty!! Unlike the hashbrown casserole my aunt makes every year (delicious, millions of cals). So please post any suggestions!! FYI i'm not a great cook, lol. :tongue:

Replies

• Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a huge fresh salad for the dinner we're going to. Lots of fresh veg and fat free dressing.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    How about Green beans with garlic and bacon bits. You just open up a few cans buy the bacon bits or make your own and sprinkle with garlic powder.
  • amyelizabethrn75
    Options
    What about a "salad bar"..... bring the lettuce and a variety of sides and dressings..... everyone can add their own toppings and the type and amount of dressing that they want..... anywhere from tomatoes and cucumbers to dried cranberries, pecans, feta, goat cheese, fresh fruit, etc...... you can add the chicken kabobs to your salad...... its always more fun to make it the way you like it!
  • annadilynn
    Options
    how about a very colorful sugar free jello layer with fat free coolwhip :0)
    it would still be way yummy and dont even tell anyone its sugar free ...they will never know!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    What about a "salad bar"..... bring the lettuce and a variety of sides and dressings..... everyone can add their own toppings and the type and amount of dressing that they want..... anywhere from tomatoes and cucumbers to dried cranberries, pecans, feta, goat cheese, fresh fruit, etc...... you can add the chicken kabobs to your salad...... its always more fun to make it the way you like it!

oh that's a good one...or salsa and pita chips, black bean salad, fruit and oil based whipped cream? How about spaghetti squash (god I'm almost drooling)...
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I love veggies and dip! Or how bout a nice fresh fruit salad with different melons, grapes, and apples! This travels pretty well with a sprinkle of fruit fresh. Strawberries and bananas tend to spoil a bit quicker, as well as citrus and pineapple. They tend to speed the spoilage of the whole salad, so I do not add them. I'm thinkin about making steamed baby carrots for my Easter dinner, but it will not be a BBQ. LOL BBQs make me think of fresh corn on the cob yummmm
  • unicornbeauty
    Options
    I thought this salad sounded really good: http://www.food.com/recipe/strawberry-asparagus-salad-122587

If you want to try and avoid the potatoes you could bring your own healthy yummy potato dish: http://cheese.food.com/recipe/saras-low-fat-creamy-cheesy-potatoes-87448

Or I have brought this to easter before: http://www.food.com/recipe/just-like-loaded-baked-potatoes-cauliflower-low-carb-95068 but it's high calorie but low/no carb potato alternative!

HTH
  • lvcsy1
    lvcsy1 Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks y'all!! They all sound great!! I may be bringing more than one dish this year!! lol
  • fullofhope
    fullofhope Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I always like dilled carrots. I know they are high on the glycemic index, but a great source of vit A and C. Peel carrots, cook on stovetop till just tender. Drain, add something like smart balance spread, not alot just enough to coat and fresh dill. Has always been a bit hit and often requested at my holiday dinners.
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    Corn Salad

1 can Shoepeg corn
    4 Green onions, chopped
    1/4-1/2 c. Roasted red peppers, chopped
    Mayonnaise
    Salt and Pepper

Drain corn. Combine with scallions and red peppers. Add just enough mayonnaise to dress. Refrigerate overnight for flavors. Season. Double if needed.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    pineapple casserole
    Mark Bittman has a great recipe for a mac and cheese bake using cauliflower and other good stuff.
    Asparagus and squash are in season. so easy to make. Just slice squash and put in a Ziploc steamer bag. Spritz with cant believe its no butter and mrs. dash and your done. Asparagus you can just put a little EVOO and put on the grill for a minute or 2.

Saute fresh spinach and mushrooms in some soy sauce
  • mindy71183
    Options
    My MIL requested I bring Pretzel Salad to our Easter picnic. Here's a recipe for it: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pretzel-Salad/Detail.aspx

I made it last weekend with splenda, sugar free jello, low fat cream cheese and cool whip. No one knew the difference and it was gone quickly!