Where do you measure your waist at if you're obese & apple-s

Options
I carry a ton of my waist around my middle, ya know, an "inner tube." Most sites I've gone to say to measure at the smallest part, right under the ribcage, at or right above the belly button, or where you "fold" when you bend over to one side. Hips are taken around the fullest part of your butt and around somewhere atop the crotch region. (I'm female btw.)
Ok - but if I measure these 2 spots then my largest widest fattest part of me, my huge tummy roll that is between my belly button and hips, doesn't get measured.
Should I measure around the largest part of the roll instead? Even though it's widest under the belly button? And how taut should I pull the cord I am using? I'm so...soft there. Lol. Or do I stick to what I described above? Help me fellow MFP buddies. :)

Replies

• angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have always measured at the natural waist AND across the belly button (that is where I am the biggest) the numbers are just for you so go with what feels right but just be consistent.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I've always measured at my belly button
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    If your just measuring for yourself to see how many inches you lose, then it doesn't really matter. Just be sure to measure in the same spot every time.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I don't think it matters where you measure, just make sure that you measure the same place every time.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I measure the biggest part of belly
  • tonicia
    tonicia Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same issue!!!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I keep track of both my smallest and widest part of my stomach
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I actually track both my natural waist and my abdomen below my belly button, as I carry additional weight in that area.
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you measure in the same place everytime then it doesn't really matter.
  • BettrFastrStrongr
    BettrFastrStrongr Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Considering my body type/fat distribution I like the idea of taking note of my measurements at my higher natural waistline as well as my widest part below the belly button. And I'll also do my best to stay consistent. :) Thank you again.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I added a measurement for "navel". so I measure my natural waist and my big ol belly. :)