Plateau help

Options
I have hit a plateau, in fact I feel like I am gaining a few pounds. What should I do? I am drinking as much water as I can and exercising too. For exercise, I attend bootcamp 3 times a week and walk 4 miles on the other days. I don't know what else to do. Please look through my journal and help me get ideas. Ohh by the way, I have upped by calories. There was a time where I was eating 500 calories net, but that was not fun. Please give me any ideas!

Replies

• warrenpeace23
    Options
    You are probably gaining muscle at the same time as burning all that fat so it seems like you hit a plateau but if you checked your body fat content...I bet it has improved. KEEP IT UP, CHICA!!! You've come so very far already and that bootcamp stuff is not easy. Don't lose heart now!!! ;-)
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough. Most days, you are under 1000 NET calories. That is not going to allow you to lose weight. Read the links in my signature for a more detailed explanation as to why it is so important to eat your exercise calories. Good luck!
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    I'm in the same place, only sooner. One is it around that TOM? That's when mine started. Two my Goddaughter is getting her degree in this kind of stuff and she told me that in order to really lose weight, I should be eating only around 15 g of sugar a day. I know I am way off. I peeked at some of your food diaries and noticed they were above this too. Don't know, maybe this will help. Sugar is my weekness, I was hoping working out would compensate. (My total cal count a day is supposed to be 1200 too.)

I too have been upping the gym time to 6 days a week. No scale improvement, or inches disappearing yet, but I have seen my back bulges disappear, and my pj bottoms, which are permanently tied, starting to be a bit droopy. Can even see my tummy starting tighten up. Soooo all these are good signs. And I am sure you have a number of great other signs too???!!!

So I guess we'll just have to keep up the good work, and be patient. :wink:
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Great job on your success so far! After looking at your diary, there are several things I'd like to suggest:

Nutrition:

1. Try to consume more calories, netting at least 1200 cals.
    2. Even though you are not tracking protein, it doesn't like like your are getting enough of it. You should aim to get .5-1 g of protein per pound of what you weigh. So for example if you weigh 135 you should aim to get 68-135 grams of protein a day. (Whey protein shakes can help provide some of this too).
    3. Try to have a combination of carbs/proteins/and fat with every meal/snack.
    4. Try to incorporate more lean proteins, fruits, veggies, low fat dairy, whole grains, beans/legumes, good fats (almonds, olive oil, avocados, etc).

Exercise:

1. Try HIIT - you said you walk 4 miles, try adding intervals, i.e., warm up for 5 min, up either the incline or the speed for higher intensity for 1 min, recover for 2, increase again for 1, recover for 2 and so on until you go for about 20 min then cool down for 5.
    2. Try adding some strength training. The more lean muscle you have, the more fat/calories you burn! Do not worry about bulking up, the average women doesn't naturally have enough testosterone to "bulk" like the bodybuilders. And it takes A LOT of work to do that ;)
    3. Try some new cardio exercises/classes to switch things up!

Hope this gives you some ideas!!! Good luck and continued success!!