My name is Soze and and I'm a food experiment addict

soze
soze Posts: 604 Member
edited September 26 in Chit-Chat
Well not like Andrew Zimmern on Bizarre Foods. I don't eat beating snake hearts.

I love the slow cooker! It's a tool of art, science, and apparently chaos. One of the things I've been into recently is chicken and rice. Love that stuff. Still though I thought it could use some work. Normally I have it with carrots, celery and onions. I figure those are the basics.

One day I couldn't make my mind up to have Chicken n' Rice or Cabbage Soup. Being conflicted I said hey how about Cabbage, Chicken and Rice. For good measure I through in a full garlic, no, not a simple clove, the whole thing. Well let me tell you that dish could peel teflon right off a pan. Oooooo, strong strong strong. More water, much more water. My Gawd, only a ULR could eat this. Well after several days and more water and more rice I was able to finish it off. Whew! No more of that.

The next time I start with the basics, skipping the cabbage and garlic. Still I thought it needed a kick. So I add Worcestershire sauce. Wow, that worked! Smelled like heaven, filled the house with aromas from the Gods! It went fast!

That brings us to today. I ran out of celery. However I spy some Cauliflower. Uh, err, okay, can't let it go to waste. In the kettle it goes. Sure is a different smell. Going to have to up the Worcestershire Sauce on this one. And maybe more poultry season. How about some hot sauce too!

Going to have to get back to you on the latest experiment. Results are not in.

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    I love our slow cooker as well. Once I saw a recipe for lasagna that added a can of pumpkin. I thought, that sounds interesting and we do have an extra can of pumpkin from the apple pumpkin butter fiasco, so in the pot it goes! Yeah... it just tasted like pumpkin :ohwell: . My wife took 3 bites out of 7 qts of lasagna, which meant the rest was left to me :sad: . I got through half of it and the second container started going bad. I hate throwing out food, but I had very few qualms about throwing that out.
  • soze
    I love our slow cooker as well. Once I saw a recipe for lasagna that added a can of pumpkin. I thought, that sounds interesting and we do have an extra can of pumpkin from the apple pumpkin butter fiasco, so in the pot it goes! Yeah... it just tasted like pumpkin :ohwell: . My wife took 3 bites out of 7 qts of lasagna, which meant the rest was left to me :sad: . I got through half of it and the second container started going bad. I hate throwing out food, but I had very few qualms about throwing that out.

LOLOLOL! Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    I found that putting a cup or two of beans in lasagna works fairly well, but last time I didn't cook them thoroughly enough. My wife is the genius of making up recipes. Anything that she's thought of usually turn out to be favorites, mine fill out the "never again" area.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    In the future... if you over season something... add a potato or 2... they will absorb some of the seasoning.
  • soze
    Great idea GB!

Hroush, yep, I have some recipes that have been discarded for good. Not a word is to be mentioned about them.
  • DaFrogRibbit
    DaFrogRibbit Posts: 127 Member
    got a sweet recipe for you to try. take a chocolate cake mix and a can of pumpkin mix together and pour into a cake pan (sprayed with nonstick spray). cook til done. not sure on the time or temp (sry). kinda cooks like a chewy brownie. although not very sweet and low calorie for a dessert. I made them at Super Bowl although I burnt them.
This discussion has been closed.