Video games are not good for losing weight.

Options
At least none of the ones I play are.
Wouldn't it be awesome if all that running around shooting stuff in games could apply to your exercise time? Bahahhahaha.
In a perfect world! :D

Replies

• kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Very much so... perhaps they'll come out with something for the kinect...

On a side note... EA Sports Active 2. That is all. lol.

Definitely is helping me reach my goal, plus it is on a game system, so one time payment, and no evil people at the gym to deal with (and no recurring monthly fees!).
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Depending on what you have there are Wii games and also Kinect games that help you burn calories. If you are just sitting and playing a video game that won't really help you out much. I've been playing Dance central for the Xbox Kinect and it keeps track of your calories...and I've been losing the weight along with eating right :)
  • Amandamccl
    Amandamccl Posts: 380
    Options
    tried all the wii workout games active 2 is the best but I want. to. try the zumba on wii
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to my good old wii fit. :)

Especially free step, then I add my hand weights and a Ke$ha cd, and I'm good for a 30 minute calorie burning frenzy!
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    All those zombie killing games would have me emaciated... But I'd be fit as a fiddle!
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    At least none of the ones I play are.
    Wouldn't it be awesome if all that running around shooting stuff in games could apply to your exercise time? Bahahhahaha.
    In a perfect world! :D

paintball???
    i love my wii fit, zumba, just dance and ddr.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I know I saw an article where someone set up a treadmill and the game system such that if you moved on the treadmill, you moved in the game, at least forward and backward. Tried googling it, but couldn't find it. What I did find, however, was this college kid decided to run on the treadmill and play through halo. He kept track of how many miles and his speed each time he played.

http://unscleric.wordpress.com/2009/02/27/halo-on-a-treadmill/

This person set up his Xbox to display on the treadmill screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewqADH_U9uk

As for myself, I have played N64 (found one at a garage sale for $1!) on my elliptical before with some success. I think doing it on a stationary bike would be easiest.

So, it is quite doable to exercise and play video games at the same time.
  • tittiemcnuggets
    Options
    I wish I had a Kinect, they are so fun!!
    I just can't get into those dance/exercise games. I enjoy sniping and shooting zombies too much.
    Call of Duty, anyone? Tee hee.
  • PecanTanDiva
    Options
    Zumba is awesome and you sweat like crazy. I am one of those people who feel I'm not getting a good enough workout unless Im sweating. It is also fun and the Calendar tracks your days for you
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    COD, Battlefield, Halo, Assassins Creed

So sad I haz no interwebz
  • tittiemcnuggets
    Options
    I have heard so much great stuff about Zumba. I might have to give it a try.

I miss Halo so much. I have a PS3 now, so no more Halo or Gears of War for me. Sad, sad day.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Between Kinect and playing crazy drums on Rock Band, I can say that I've definitely lost some weight while playing video games. It would be nice if I could do it while playing the shooters, too, but we can't have it all.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i love call of duty on the ps3..xbox live is horrible
  • NeverTry
    NeverTry Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    unfortunately.. Agreed!!!!

Oh PS3 how i love thee...
    ;P
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Options
    True story time kids... My divorce had only one thing contested. It wasn't the kids that was easily worked out. The dogs I got. I also got the 360 that rrod'd. The kids got the wii. She got the ps3 and I still argue with her about it.
  • tittiemcnuggets
    Options
    Woot woot. Gamer women represent! :D
    XBOX live is complete garbage. If anyone tried to take my PS3, they would have to pry it out of my cold, lifeless hands!
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Options
    My ex doesn't play the ps3, it's her blu-ray player. She plays WoW and used to manage the gamestop until she got fired for having her bf in the back room.
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    All those zombie killing games would have me emaciated... But I'd be fit as a fiddle!

I have to agree. I do LOVE to kill some zombies!

But I play on Xbox Live. I <3 my 360 and my Kinect! As much as I do my kids!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I love my XBox 360, PS3 took too long to come out with decent games, so I passed on it. My favorite thing to do is drag a chair up close (2-3 feet) from my 47" HDTV and get totally immersed in whatever game I'm playing. I can only do this when no one else is home or awake. (You just get tired of answering the same questions over and over, ya know?) Needless to say, Bioshock scared the hell out of me! COD, GoW, Assassin's Creed series, Red Dead Redemption, so many more... Ooh Yeah, I'm thinking I need to send the kids to bed....

Ted
    TDGee on XBox Live
  • tittiemcnuggets
    Options
    My ex doesn't play the ps3, it's her blu-ray player. She plays WoW and used to manage the gamestop until she got fired for having her bf in the back room.

Oh my goodness! I used to work at Gamestop. I sure do miss that discount!