what is YOUR resting heart rate?

Options
13»

Replies

• djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Okay I went through all the calculations on the previous page. At 50 yrs. old (51 in june) my max heart rate is 169-170. I just started working out mid Feb. and go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week, always the elliptical. My heart rate is usually between 130 and 150 while I'm working out. I try slowing down if I notice it's up to 150 but I tend to get distracted and end up going faster and it goes back up. Is bad for me to let my heart rate get that high? I really have a hard time keeping it under the 136. My resting heart rate is 60 to 66.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    55 for me.
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    My sitting heart rate is mid to low 50s, but the lowest RHR I ever recorded after waking up was 39.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    62 at the moment.
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm usually smack at 50, and sometimes dip a teeny bit below that...
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It is not bad to exercise to a high heart rate as long as you do not have any heart problems. Only a Dr. can tell you with certainty whether or not you have any problems.
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    Okay I went through all the calculations on the previous page. At 50 yrs. old (51 in june) my max heart rate is 169-170. I just started working out mid Feb. and go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week, always the elliptical. My heart rate is usually between 130 and 150 while I'm working out. I try slowing down if I notice it's up to 150 but I tend to get distracted and end up going faster and it goes back up. Is bad for me to let my heart rate get that high? I really have a hard time keeping it under the 136. My resting heart rate is 60 to 66.

Using the 220 - Age is just a general guideline. If I stuck with those guidelines my max heart rate would be 179, but I have pushed my heart rate up to 187 before during a very tough hill run.

Check with your doctor before pushing your heart rate that high. If you're able to elevate your heart rate to that level, you'll only be able to sustain it for just a few minutes, and there's a chance that you could feel a bit nauseous if you've never done it before. Also, you'll have a lot of lactic acid build-up so expect soreness the next day.
  • songofserenity81
    songofserenity81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Mine fluctuates between 45 and 55 with still about 40lb to go to a healthy weight range. I try to exercise 6 days a week for at least 90 minutes a day. I wouldnt have thought I was particularly fit with being the size I am but my heart rate says otherwise? :smile:
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    Mine fluctuates between 45 and 55 with still about 40lb to go to a healthy weight range. I try to exercise 6 days a week for at least 90 minutes a day. I wouldnt have thought I was particularly fit with being the size I am but my heart rate says otherwise? :smile:

A resting heart rate between 45 and 55 is still pretty good. It means that your heart can pump more blood with each beat. Just keep doing what you're doing. As the weight continues to drop, you may not see a decrease in MRHR, but that's okay. MRHR is often an indicator of how well your body is doing with your current training load. So if it's in the 45 to 55 range, then that means you're good for more exercise that day. If you see it in the 60 - 70 range, you may have overdid your exercise the previous day. Or ... sometimes it's an indication that you're coming down with a cold or flu...