Best Running Shoes -- what are yours?

Options
2»

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have always used Asics, but have been getting blisters recently, so am going to get a gait analysis done before my next pair.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I've always worn Asics. I'm in the GT-2160's ( I think--I didn't just check the shoes) which are for mild to moderate overpronators. Been wearing that model (the number changes occasionally) since 1996. They're very good for my feet and running style, and were great when i ran 25 miles a week too.

Other brands make shoes for mild to moderate overpronators, but these fit my feet the best.

Whatever shoes you get, I would highly recommend going up .5 to 1 size from your street shoes. I wear a full size larger in my running shoes. Your feet will swell as you warm up, and you need the room. When standing, you should be able to fit one thumbwidth between your longest toe (which may not be your big toe) and the end of the shoe. This keeps your toes from hitting the end of the shoes and giving you black toenails.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    Nike MOTO 8+

i wear a ton of adidas clothes but i tried these Nikes on for running and was instantly hooked!
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I just started in a new pair of Ryka running shoes, and so far I love them. They are made to account for the different quad angle of a woman. All I know is that I don't have blisters and they are very light and comfortable. :)
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of new balance 860's and they are great!

This is a great site for shoes and other running merchandise...
    http://www.runningwarehouse.com/
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    Before I switched over to Vibram Five Fingers, I used to run in the Mizuno Wave Inspire. The material made me feel that my feet were encased in pillows!

Zappos.com is a great source for shoes as well.
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    I have always used Asics, but have been getting blisters recently, so am going to get a gait analysis done before my next pair.

Do you run without socks? If you're getting blisters, then there's some type of friction between your foot and the shoe's footbed or upper, depending on where you're getting the blister. The shoe might be too lose. Perhaps try tighting the laces a bit.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Minimalist shoes are the newest fad, and honestly I don't get it. If you can find a reputable running store that does gait analysis then try to talk to them about it, and tell them your usual problems and your running goals. I have a fairly large and wide foot, and I've always used pretty bulky shoes, so they recommended some stability control shoes for me. Brooks "The Beast". I use Superfeet Green inserts as well to correct a problem in my running posture where I would tend to heel strike on the side of my foot.
  • irishk8lin
    Options
    I have two pair that I alternate. I have Underarmour Asserts and New balance 790's. Both pink and black

The underarmour are more of my everyday shoes
  • clvdandj
    clvdandj Posts: 76
    Options
    I own Nike Women's Dual Fusion
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 2nd pair of Asics 2150's (duomax). They just "re-did" the shoe so now it's a 2160. As such, this pair of 2150's was on sale 1/2 price. yay!
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    New Balance shoes built on the SL-2 form are the only ones that have worked for me for the past 10 years, at least. I'm starting to think about trying out their new line of Minimus shoes.
  • msenn2692
    msenn2692 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i wear new balance they are very good for workouts unless i do a lot of running - getting shin splints. I was told they were cross trainers so thought they would be good. My trainer told me to get inserts so will try them to see if that will help.
  • NHGirl23
    NHGirl23 Posts: 2,657 Member
    Options
    Just getting into running, how often do y'all replace your shoes, and can you get away with just replacing the inserts first?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Just getting into running, how often do y'all replace your shoes, and can you get away with just replacing the inserts first?

About every 300-400 miles.

You can't just replace the insoles, no. The midsole in the shoes breaks down before the insole will. The midsole is what has most of your cushioning.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Vibram Bikila LS but I only run sprints.
  • NHGirl23
    NHGirl23 Posts: 2,657 Member
    Options

About every 300-400 miles.

You can't just replace the insoles, no. The midsole in the shoes breaks down before the insole will. The midsole is what has most of your cushioning.

Thanks Atlantique!!
  • Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    Options
    I have several pairs of New Balance, but my favorite is the 798's they make my feet feel so good.
    I usually wear SAS's for walking at work all day being on my feet my body would ache after awhile I tried about 100 pairs of shoes to get rid of the aches that were making me feel decades older than I needed to. I purchased probably 9-10 pair of work out shoes. and interestingly each one has it's own personality. If it is a long workout I use ____ and a short walk around the neighborhood I use_____ and on the treadmill I use _____. Maybe I am addicted to just having a bunch of shoes, but the change works for me. Except when I am using my NB 798's they can be used for everything :)
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I just purchased Skechers Resistance Runners, but are yet to recieve them since I ordered them from the states. There are a ton of good reviews regarding these shoes. I will post a review once I have given them a test run. :)