Any other shooters? tactical or recreational?

Options
swordsmith
swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
Part of the reason I am losing changing my lifestyle was the dismal performance I did during a recent 3-day combative carbine course. I couldnt get myself into some of the positions to engage, had trouble getting up quickly from a kneeling position never mind prone, and my cardio was so poor that even after a mild "stress" run I was so winded that engaging the targets was difficult with a fair amount of misses due to a wild heart rate and shaking- which translates into potentially hitting innocents downrange.

So I'm curious who else shoots here and if changing your lifestyle has something to do with it. And what do you shoot and are you a more tactical or recreational shooter?

And for those interested I run with a Noveske 10.5" upper on a Colt lower w/ Aimpoint M4 Comp and AAC M4-2000 silencer as my primary. Secondary is an Springfield Armory XDm.

Replies

• LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I LOVE shooting, and got to do some when I went through the Citizens Police Academy several years ago. But~~as You know~~Life is weird. My husband and I both changed jobs, and there is not the time nor finances for shooting. However, Good Luck with your Journey, and Welcome to MFP!!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i shoot recreationally.

i have a 9mm sub compact springfield xd
  • adurfee
    adurfee Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey, I shoot recreationally, though with two small kids I don't have to time to do it nearly as much as I'd like. I shoot everything from pistol, to shotgun, to all variations of rifles. People don't realize how exhausting shooting can be, and how you really do need to be in shape to do it correctly! I did an all day women's shotgun course (trap) a ways back and holy cow, I was beat. And I was shooting a 20 gauge semi-auto, so it could have been a lot worse! I've taken several pistol training courses, and a defensive shotgun class. I really enjoy all sorts of shooting, just don't get to do it nearly enough.
    It sure is a damn good reason to get in shape though! Keep up the great work!
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My weight loss journey is totally unrelated to shooting, but i am an avid shooter myself. Of course, here in the south, most of us are. Most of my shooting time these days is sporting clays, but i'll do trap or target shooting and be just as happy. Some of my favorite times have been taking my daughter to the range and teaching her to shoot. She started shooting rifle at 10 years old and has done a little pistol. She really wants to take up shotgun but she's a petite 13 year old so its hard to find something she can handle.

I can understand your challenge. You are doing some shooting that requires agility and some quick bursts of speed, all while controlling heart rate and breathing.

Good luck!