Calcium sources for vegans

Options
Are there any vegan dieters out there who have customized your goals for protein, fat and carbs? If you'd like to share with me what you did, and why, I would be grateful. Also, do you have a favorite source of calcium?

Right now I have mine at 60% Carb, 15% Protein, and 20% Fat. I eat only whole grains, beans, lentils, fruits and vegetables. No flour or sugar, and limit olive oil or flax oil to 1 tablespoon per day. I can't believe how happy and satisfied I am on this diet - but I worry about my protein being too low. I've read Colin Campbell's book "The China Study" which focuses on the harm a diet too high in protein can do, and how cancer is fed by the excess protein in the typical diet.

I don't like to base my whole life on the info in one book, though, no matter how credible it sounds. So if any of you vegans/raw fooders/clean fooders out there have philosophies to share, I would love to learn from you!

Replies

• auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Also, do you have a favorite source of calcium?

Well, I'm not vegan, but this should work for you. Went to a nutrionist a couple of times.

GREEN LEAF VEGETABLES seem to be the preferred source of calcium.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    any kind of green leafy veg is high in calcium. apples, bananas, avacados are high in calcium too.

i am a vegetarian.

humans only need 40-60 grams of protein a day. and yes too much protein is harmful. it has been linked to colon cancers, neurologic problems, liver and kidney damage.
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    theres a good table with info on this site

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/calcium.htm
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    In addition to the dark green leafies, many nuts are excellent sources of minerals in the diet. Almonds have a fair amount of calcium in them, for one example.

There's a great deal of extremely harsh critcism out there for "The China Study" that you may want to google. ;)
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great info! i love to keep learning and gathering new ideas - it keeps me interested and motivated!