I need some good advice...

Options
I've pretty much been eating my exercise calories since Day One and have been meeting my goal of losing one pound/week. Recently, though, I've started weight training with a personal trainer and for the first time I've been feeling hungry and fatigued on training days. I haven't been adding the training sessions as exercise on MFP because I don't have any idea how many calories it is and figured it wasn't that many as to make a difference. I'm now thinking it does make a difference and I need to start adding them and eating those extra calories to avoid the hunger and fatigue. I don't know how to figure out how many calories I'm burning doing weight training. I wear a fitbit which doesn't help, and neither does a hrm. Can anyone give me some good advice about this? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    those hrm dont really work for weight training..you are probably hungrier because you've switched up your routine. plus when you lift you break down muscle and it needs to repair to grow..so you need to eat more.

you dont really burn that much lifting..unless you do a really high intensity workout..no rests between sets and your heart rate is up there.

i usually do moderate lifting, and i estimate about 100-120 cals per 40 min session burned.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I think you can find strength training in the cardio section (weird, I know) which has some calories attached to it. Otherwise, it could be that you're not eating enough protein to satisfy your weight training, perhaps? The addition of weight training will also cause your body to re-adapt, which could be a source for temporary fatigue as the glycogen levels in your body change. Hope some of this helps.