darn good day for a hike

Options
Well today a friend and I drove up to Caesar's Head (north Greenville Co., SC) to go hiking. We took his Mini Cooper, put the top down and flew around the wonderful curves as the road went up the mountain side. It was a beautiful morning up there, stayed about 67 degrees from 9:30-11:30, very nice and cool especially in the shade. I have never been there, and since we haven't hiked in forever, we started with a fairly short trail. We took the Raven Cliff Falls Trail to the Lookout and looked out over to the falls. It was all in all a beautiful day to get some good exercise. It was a 4.4 mile hike roundtrip. We were feeling pretty adventurous after getting to the lookout and were tempted to go on another trail that came off of it called Dismal Trail. We decided against it, and when we went back we went to the park station and they had a model of the landscape with all the trails mapped out.... we had a trail map with no elevation info, and had we taken Dismal Trail it would have been great going down, but coming up, there is a 1500ft elevation change within 1.5 miles... we weren't ready for a hike like that yet... But I can't wait to do more as the weather gets cooler, and i lose some more weight. I hope everyone else had a good one today, and if you had the nice weather I hope you got out and enjoyed it.

Replies

• alifelessevident
    Options
    Well today a friend and I drove up to Caesar's Head (north Greenville Co., SC) to go hiking. We took his Mini Cooper, put the top down and flew around the wonderful curves as the road went up the mountain side. It was a beautiful morning up there, stayed about 67 degrees from 9:30-11:30, very nice and cool especially in the shade. I have never been there, and since we haven't hiked in forever, we started with a fairly short trail. We took the Raven Cliff Falls Trail to the Lookout and looked out over to the falls. It was all in all a beautiful day to get some good exercise. It was a 4.4 mile hike roundtrip. We were feeling pretty adventurous after getting to the lookout and were tempted to go on another trail that came off of it called Dismal Trail. We decided against it, and when we went back we went to the park station and they had a model of the landscape with all the trails mapped out.... we had a trail map with no elevation info, and had we taken Dismal Trail it would have been great going down, but coming up, there is a 1500ft elevation change within 1.5 miles... we weren't ready for a hike like that yet... But I can't wait to do more as the weather gets cooler, and i lose some more weight. I hope everyone else had a good one today, and if you had the nice weather I hope you got out and enjoyed it.
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    That sounds awesome dude.

I am yearning to go hiking again also, it's been about a month or so since I've been.

Anytime you are up near the NC mountains and want to hit up some trails let me know. We'll tear'em up.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    oooh yea thatd be a fun day. We did the waterrock knob trail today...so weeee!!
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    Options
    Sounds wonderful! I'm jealous!
  • alifelessevident
    Options

I am yearning to go hiking again also, it's been about a month or so since I've been.

Anytime you are up near the NC mountains and want to hit up some trails let me know. We'll tear'em up.
    Definitely, i used to hike alot, and getting back into it again. What are some of the good areas up there to hike? Boone is only about 3 hours away from here, and my friend and I are getting back into camping and hiking again- I'm trying to get him on here- he and I have been working out together to keep each other motivated, he just is not much of an online person, so he still hasn't gotten on here yet.
  • sgtinvincible
    Options

Definitely, i used to hike alot, and getting back into it again. What are some of the good areas up there to hike? Boone is only about 3 hours away from here, and my friend and I are getting back into camping and hiking again- I'm trying to get him on here- he and I have been working out together to keep each other motivated, he just is not much of an online person, so he still hasn't gotten on here yet.

Dude, seriously, I hike up here all the time. I can take you to some beautiful 'off the beaten path' hikes. Just ask Manda, she's my new hiking buddy, and she seems to love it.
  • alifelessevident
    Options
    How's the hiking there- how strenuous? Thats only about 2 hours from here, will have to try it out
  • sgtinvincible
    Options
    How's the hiking there- how strenuous? Thats only about 2 hours from here, will have to try it out

All skill levels.We have pretty tough trails and then we have really easy trails. Just depends on what you are looking for.
  • alifelessevident
    Options

Dude, seriously, I hike up here all the time. I can take you to some beautiful 'off the beaten path' hikes. Just ask Manda, she's my new hiking buddy, and she seems to love it.
    Sounds good, we'll have to figure out some time and do that, we're always up for new adventures and could use some off the beaten path hikes
  • alifelessevident
    Options

All skill levels.We have pretty tough trails and then we have really easy trails. Just depends on what you are looking for.

lol right now we are starting fairly easy, i just quit smoking today so my lungs were definitely burnin, but its a whole lifestyle change with me, and i love being outside and seeing what God has given us to see. i'll have to talk to my friend, but we'll definitely have to plan a decent hike, especially with fall coming quickly
  • sgtinvincible
    Options
    Heck yeah Bro, just let me know.