Any tips to curb evening snacking..

Options
2»

Replies

• JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    here's one that no one seems to have answered- go to bed- so many of us are sleep deprived- and I had once read that when we are sleep deprived we tend to crave more sugar y or starchy foods (don't know if this is scientifically true- cjust made sense for me) try going to bed early sometimes, you won't be thinking about food and you may wake up more refreshed and ready to take on the world than on other days :-)
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Could try snacking earlier in the day, obviating the need to snack in the evening :bigsmile:
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water and then I sip herbal tea while watching a movie. (That's what I did last night.)
  • rosey808
    rosey808 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Evening is my worst time. Yesterday was my first day on my diet and the evening was hard. Thanks to everyone here for the suggestions. I'm jotting them down.

This is what I did yesterday to avoid eating:

Went for a walk
    Cleaned my bathroom
    Sorted socks (I have a million stragglers)
    Read a magazine (Shape and InStyle, seeing pretty people keeps me motivated)
    Watched TV
    Ate ice chips
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    CELERY!!

I'm not often hungry after dinner but If you are relaxing and just watching TV the desire to munch is unreal so I found that eating a 1 stalk of celery (cut up) satisfies that desire.

If that doesn’t help and you can't take it anymore, toss yourself in bed even if it’s only 9:30, the extra sleep will do you good.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    A cup of tea! Helps get me sleepy and curb cravings. I'm having some right now. ;)

I thought green tea (specifically Lipton) had caffeine? If it's past 8:00 I avoid it for that reason but of course that’s prime munching time. I generally hate coffee and tea but bought a huge box of the green kind just b/c of the health properties so if you hate the stuff too, you can do it!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    My daughter's approach: Go to bed.

My approach:
    (1) Determine what KIND of hungry I am by asking myself whether ANYTHING will do (which means PHYSICAL hunger) or whether I have a craving for something specific (which means EMOTIONAL hunger).
    (2) If I'm physically hungry, I'll find a healthy small snack to eat and then log it, OR
    (3) If I'm emotionally hungry, I'll either take my daughter's approach (go to bed) or get a hot cup of a flavored tea with a touch of sweetener.

Hope that helps!
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    Great idea! I usually grab a bottled water and go do something to make myself busy. I tend to go to bed fairly early so it isn't a big issue for me thankfully. Sometimes if I feel like I'm going to raid the pantry, I just go to bed instead!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I reach for herbal tea or water if it is close to bedtime. If I am truly hungry, maybe a piece of cheese or non-fat yogurt.

For what it's worth, last week I cut my fruit intake: only 2 servings per day, no fruit after 2pm, and am filling up on protein instead. It seems to be working wonders on my appetite.
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I find evening time the hardest as well.
    What works for me is to do an exercise (currently the 30 day shred), which definitely puts me off overeating, after putting in all that effort. Last night I was very hot and thirsty after that and I had a large serving of sugarfree jelly (my daughter is mad about that stuff, so we always have some made up in the fridge), it was surprisingly satisfactory!

Oh and someone just told me yesterday about a supplement, chromium, it's meant to decrease your cravings for sugar and fat. Haven't tried it myself, but I will look into it. If anyone here uses it, would love to hear your experience!
  • dgclip1981
    Options
    I know this sounds crazy, but it happened to me last night. I had the urge to eat a Twinkie and I wanted popcorn too. Somewhere I heard that if you visualize eating, you will eat less. So, I gave it a try. I closed my eyes and acted like I was eating a Twinkie, mouth movements and everything. By the time I was done, I forgot about my craving and continued to watch TV. Not sure if that will work in the future, but it worked last night and that counts for something. Just give it a try and see what happens.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I used to peel open a navel orange until I realized how much sugar they contain. :/ Now, I just stick it out till morning or chug water.
  • hikingmonk
    hikingmonk Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Green tea does have caffeine, albeit much less than black tea or coffee. If you are sensitive to the effects of caffeine then buy the decaf variety or go herbal. A nice cup of chamomile tea is very relaxing in the evening.

Great suggestions here. I struggle in the evenings as well.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    A cup of tea! Helps get me sleepy and curb cravings. I'm having some right now. ;)
    I found I was drinking so much tea, it was affecting my ability to get to sleep, so I bit the bullet and bought decaf. Have to say I can't really tell much difference.

My main strategy though is to keep busy. Started out to get fit, now losing weight, and am ending up with a tidier house and more organised life!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I found I was drinking so much tea, it was affecting my ability to get to sleep, so I bit the bullet and bought decaf. Have to say I can't really tell much difference.

My main strategy though is to keep busy. Started out to get fit, now losing weight, and am ending up with a tidier house and more organised life!

I drink sleepy time vanilla. Makes my eyelids heavy.
  • pjrisher
    pjrisher Posts: 152
    Options
    I brush my teeth to try to void that evening craving sometimes.
  • Smurfette64
    Options
    I find the easiest way to curb a craving after meals (and especially later at night while watching tv) is simply to clean my teeth believe it or not - having that fresh minty taste in my mouth is enough :)