Golf

LOVINLIFEGUY
LOVINLIFEGUY Posts: 47
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been looking around on line for about how many calories are burned while golfing and walking 18 holes. MFP along with most other sites say about 1500 calories per 18 holes. That just seems kinda high. Anybody else have an estimate they use and do you think 1500 is a good estimate? If that is the case I will be eatting all day long this summer:bigsmile:

Replies

• irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    I was just coming online to ask this. My boyfriend is a pro and i am slowly getting into it. If it burns that many cals i will be playing more :o)
  • LeeShirreffs
    LeeShirreffs Posts: 16 Member
    Carrying Clubs
    How many calories a person burns while playing golf depends on three factors. One is body weight, as larger people burn more calories than their smaller counterparts. A second factor is how much time is spent playing golf, and the third aspect has to do with how active that person is on the range. A person who weighs 150 pounds and plays golf for two hours while he is carrying his clubs will burn 750 calories. A heavier person, weighing 200 pounds, will burn even more. During a two hour golf game, a 200-pound person carrying his golf clubs will burn 1,000 calories. "Taken from ehow.com"

On average playing 18holes is around 4hrs! So the calculations above will be double?

But from another website they state:

Q. How many calories do you burn playing golf?
    A. Depends on gender, height, weight etc. But if you are an average size male (5'10" 165) you will burn about 300 calories an hour walking/carrying your clubs.

So from the details above it seems like 1500 calories is possible.. Probably more depends on how many 'hook' shots you do and walking around searching for your golf ball in the rough! :laugh:
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    I played a 4.5 hour round in a strap HRM last week (felt like a bra to be fair) . this site gave me 1400 cal and the HRM gave just a little less. (carrying clubs)

I am 6ft 1 and just over 210 lb.

so i think it not to bad.
  • ok, that makes sense. I just find it hard to believe that, I don't feel too tired after and i usually have worked out before golfing. I am 6ft and about 185. Also, I use a push cart and do not carry.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.