Paleo?

LSig777
LSig777 Posts: 7
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
Anyone take to the Paleo Diet? Day 1 today!

LSig

Replies

• I kind of have...as has one of my friends. I can definitely tell a huge difference in the amount of energy I have, as well as the amount of sleep that I need. It's been great!!
  • Seems to be an influx of "paleo" threads lately.

As with any fad diet, it doesn't work for everyone. The concept is great though: don't eat processed foods, sleep, fatty acids + protein + unrefined veg/fruit/nuts, etc..

Personally, I try to stay away from these diet crazes. I know what works well for me (lots fo trial & error) and I adjust as I need to.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Firstly, let me say that the Paleo way of eating IS NOT A FAD DIET!! It's how a lot of us eat and not because it's a "diet" book.

I've been doing Paleo for almost 3 weeks now and feel a difference in how I look AND feel. I initially started it because of chronic yeast infections. But it's helped with my weight loss as well.

Cutting out all processed foods (grains) will do amazing things for your health now and in the future. Eat lots of protein, veggies, fats (don't be afraid), and nuts and seeds. Don't O.D. on the nuts and seeds though, that could get you into trouble.

I hope you have one of the Paleo books as a reference. I'm always looking back for more info that I may have missed.

There's a bunch of us on MFP, so please ask questions if you need to.

Best of luck!!!
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Been Paleo for 3 months (as of this Saturday) and am down, roughly, 25-27 lbs and 5 jean sizes.

Prepare to get blasted by all of the "know it all/you're WRONG for eating that much fat and no grains/ it's a FAD" holier than thou's. Seems to be the trend on the other threads.

It works for me and is sustainable. That's all that really matters.
  • I'm on my third week Paleo, day 23. I feel great and have lost 12 lbs. I have always been a true believer in low carb anyway. Did the atkins many times but decided to take the grains, dairy and fruit out too because I was pre diabetic. Have not had any stomach issues since I started, and I have suffered with IBS my entire adulthood. I always knew that grains/dairy contributed to the terrible pain. I feel better than I have in years. I used this site for 1.5 years to do a low fat/low calorie diet and hit my goal and upped my calories by 300 and gained weight so fast it wasn't funny.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Been Paleo for 3 months (as of this Saturday) and am down, roughly, 25-27 lbs and 5 jean sizes.

Prepare to get blasted by all of the "know it all/you're WRONG for eating that much fat and no grains/ it's a FAD" holier than thou's. Seems to be the trend on the other threads.

And if you ask for evidence or clarification for any small part of the paleo diet then be prepared to be blasted as some who personally attacks and is holier than thou.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    I will second and third the others that say Paleo is not to be confused with a fad diet, it is a way of eating that is condusive to better health. While I still eat grains here and there, for the most part I only eat non-processed fruits, veggies, lean means, nuts and greek yogurt and cottage cheese (some Paleo people don't eat dairy but I do). I eat next to nothing out of a box or package. I do this for health reasons and it gives me energy and promotes good muscle development.

Edited to say, I'm not going to argue its best but it is a good choice for me. My husband and kids follow it to a certain point but I am not too picky with the kids as I don't want to portray that "holier than thou" attitude. My opinion is that just leads to disorder. :wink:
  • BryanAir
    I will second and third the others that say Paleo is not to be confused with a fad diet, it is a way of eating that is condusive to better health. While I still eat grains here and there, for the most part I only eat non-processed fruits, veggies, lean means, nuts and greek yogurt and cottage cheese (some Paleo people don't eat dairy but I do). I eat next to nothing out of a box or package. I do this for health reasons and it gives me energy and promotes good muscle development.

Edited to say, I'm not going to argue its best but it is a good choice for me. My husband and kids follow it to a certain point but I am not too picky with the kids as I don't want to portray that "holier than thou" attitude. My opinion is that just leads to disorder. :wink:

Even someone who thinks it is a fad diet would probably agree that your list: "non-processed fruits, veggies, lean means, nuts and greek yogurt and cottage cheese" would be a healthy way to live.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    I haven't tried "paleo", but am a big supporter of cutting out sugar and grains ( because nothing else works for me), which paleo does. Good luck! :)
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Even someone who thinks it is a fad diet would probably agree that your list: "non-processed fruits, veggies, lean means, nuts and greek yogurt and cottage cheese" would be a healthy way to live.

IMO those food items are @ the heart of any good eating plan. Eat REAL food that doesn't have a ton of additives or preservatives.

I have an office-mate doing paleo, and I am doing something similar. I have cut out all grains, most dairy and starchy carbs. I should add, that was relatively easy for me b/c I didn't have a lot to "clean-up" in the first place. Anyway, I've also limited fruit to 2 servings per day (last piece by 2pm), which was probably my biggest change. I am almost a week in, my energy is great, and my hunger has decreased dramatically.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    It sounds basically like clean eating to me. Other than eating fresh and natural foods, is there really much else to it?
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member

And if you ask for evidence or clarification for any small part of the paleo diet then be prepared to be blasted as some who personally attacks and is holier than thou.

Speak of the devil...
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Yes, we have a Paleo support group going on here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/209055-palelo-support-group

Come on over and join us!!!
  • Grokette

Well, then it should be even more the reason for people to STOP calling it a fad then. Wouldn't you say????
  • bmonahan115
    bmonahan115 Posts: 121 Member
    Anyone take to the Paleo Diet? Day 1 today!

LSig

well first off, welcome to i! it's hard to re-adjut at first. but i trust you'll find the healthan well-being you're looing for following the Paleo diet. i have been constantly impressed with it myself having livd this was for a few months now. you're def going o gt **** for it o this site but take comfort in knowing you've done the research for yourself and brush the haters off. good luck and friend me if you'd like any recipes or jst need support! :-D
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/218594--paleo-diet-70-fat

Check out that thread.

Tons of info on the subject.

I'm not trying to swing you either way, just has a lot from both sides of the spectrum.
  • Grokette
    I'm on my third week Paleo, day 23. I feel great and have lost 12 lbs. I have always been a true believer in low carb anyway. Did the atkins many times but decided to take the grains, dairy and fruit out too because I was pre diabetic. Have not had any stomach issues since I started, and I have suffered with IBS my entire adulthood. I always knew that grains/dairy contributed to the terrible pain. I feel better than I have in years. I used this site for 1.5 years to do a low fat/low calorie diet and hit my goal and upped my calories by 300 and gained weight so fast it wasn't funny.

Hey, this is me..............I did Atkins for years and then a car accident and couldn't work out for a year and gained a lot of weight due to my husband's cooking abilities being limited, but was thankful to eat. LOL

Developed Thyroid issues along this same time frame and transitioned over from Atkins to a more Paleo approach. It works better for me than Atkins did, especially when you get to the part of the carb ladder where the legumes, lentils, dairy and grains were added back in.........
  • BryanAir

Well, then it should be even more the reason for people to STOP calling it a fad then. Wouldn't you say????

Not really. Just because the base can be a healthy diet (and from what I have read on these forums this isn't the paleo base for everyone) doesn't mean that paleo as a whole can't be considered a fad. Exercise has been around for a long time and hula hooping is a form of exercise. That doesn't mean that hula hooping isn't a fad when it is popular.
  • BryanAir

Speak of the devil...

Speak of the devil? I have one post that could even be considered negative towards a 70% animal fat diet, but that was to explain why others don't let people just post whatever they want without asking for scientific backing. I would appreciate it if you were to remain civil and not besmirch my character on an internet forum.
  • Yes it's a fad and no I'm not against it at all. I think the concepts of the diet are great. Who can argue against eating less/no processed foods? In fact, my diet is very similar. Those that argue "lifespan" aren't taking into account medicine. We've come a loooong way since then.:wink:

In the end, do what works for you. There is no "one size fits all".
    A fad is any form of behavior that develops among a large population and is collectively followed with enthusiasm for some period, generally as a result of the behavior's being perceived as novel in some way. A fad is said to "catch on" when the number of people adopting it begins to increase rapidly.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fad
This discussion has been closed.