One step forward, two steps back...

Options
It seems like i'm always back-tracking...on Sunday, I ran for 30 minutes continously, averaging out to about 12.5 minutes a mile, which for me is a victory! Today, circumstances were against me and i couldn't run for more than 5-10 minutes at a time. Sometimes I wonder how much of my downslide is because of the elements and my being sore and how much of it is just in my head. I know i'm capable of running for 30 minutes at a time, so why couldn't I do it today?

18 days until my 5k....i was so motivated on Sunday after my run, but today I'm beginning to doubt myself again...just looking for a little push to motivate me again!

Replies

• FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I can't run two days in a row . . .it is too much for me. I take at least a day or two break in between. On those days off walk your distance and time yourself . . .the next day see how much faster you are running it. It will motivate you to keep from walking too much during your race. Good luck, my first 5K (in a while) is on the 14th of May!
  • redhead8
    redhead8 Posts: 1
    Options
    Dont doubt yourself you can do it! YOU HAVE DONE IT! when it seems like its getting hard DONT STOP RUNNING!!! Maybe slow your pace..focus on your breathing but keep going!!! Make sure you keep your hands under your heart and shoulders pulled back. Good luck with your 5k!
  • nicole723
    Options
    I think especially for runners who aren't used to running all the time, your body needs a break after one day. Take a day or two off then push a little harder next time. You can do it!! and Congrats on the 12.5 min/mile!
  • kimd1974
    kimd1974 Posts: 113
    Options
    I struggle with the same issue. Some days I love running and have no problem doing it and other days I'm not into and my body does not enjoy it.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    yowza! two days in a row?! that might be your problem right there. i found that i needed the recovery time in a major way in order to progress. and even then, some days i just didn't have it in me. you'll get there! no hurries, no worries! and CONGRATS on your 12.5 minute pace! :flowerforyou:
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    well, i took a day off from it yesterday, but i did strength training at the gym, targeting my legs...might be why they're so tired today...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What they all said. Your legs need a break, especially if you were doing strength training on them yesterday.

And you are going to be so amazed at yourself on race day. The excitement of it all keeps you going... and going faster.
  • LyonInLondon
    LyonInLondon Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Not always easy to run two days in a row for distance until you are a bit fitter and are being careful with what you eat both before and after your workout (makes a big impact on your recovery).

If you don't feel like you can run continuously the next day - why not try interval training? I find it gets me fitter super fast (when my knees aren't buggered anyways).

Good luck! You CAN do it!