realistic expectations of monthly weight loss?

Options
So I'm wondering whether or not losing 4lbs a month is a realistic weight loss target for me. I'm someone who's towards the top end of the 'normal' BMI range but trying to get into the bottom third. I'm 158lbs trying to get to 140lbs (a weight I was comfortable at up until about 2 years ago when the weight began creeping on).

I'm finding it really hard to lose a whole pound every week and suspect that a 2lb a month goal might be better for me. Anyone else thinking that a 2lb monthly goal might be more realistic for them? Of course it really means shifting your time-frame to the long term, which is quite tough for me to do!

Replies

• AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    Options
    Up to two pounds a week is considered "OK"

So 4 lbs in a month is incredibly ideal and should be easy.
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    For sanity's sake, I would recommend using a "customer service" viewpoint: under-promise, over-deliver.

IE: Set it for losing 2lbs a month. That way, if you lose more, you are pleasantly surprised, and it will be easier on your body to stay on target.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I'm smaller than you (5'3") and recently hit the high end of healthy BMI and have found my loss has slowed- I was at about 5 lbs a month pretty steady, then 4 for Dec, and starting in the new year 2-3 seems to be my average. I think 2lbs a month is probably a healthy goal.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

the 2 lbs/week is only "Okay" for those that have a lot to lose. I would suggest the 0.5lbs/week once you get to your last 15-20 lbs with 20-40 lbs I would suggest 1 lb/week. The less you have to lose the smaller your caloric deficit should be. This will help ensure that you are not burning muscle, instead of fat, for your body to use as fuel.
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm almost double my top end 'healthy' BMI weight, so I'm working at dropping 10lbs a month, but I have a lot further to go. I would say since you're so close, that 2-3lbs per month is healthier for you. Within two weeks after I started MFP/Healthy Eating/Exercise, you could actually see a change in me. I told my husband that it's one of the few things that's nice about being so overweight, when you start weight watching, it comes off fast. I dread getting down to the point where only the people who live far a way and only see me twice a year will notice a change because it's so gradual.

Keep your spirits up :). I know it's hard to take it slower, but if you do crash dieting or other crazy stuff to drop it off too fast, it will just come back when you go back to your normal habits.
  • frubjious
    frubjious Posts: 355
    Options
    I completely agree with kiwi. If you're at the top end of healthy 2lb a month is a good way to go. It may take longer but you'll be a happier human for it.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    4 lbs per month is perfect, especially for someone with your weight-loss goal. You're already pretty close to your ideal weight, so losing faster than you currently are is not realistic unless you're someone who is able and prepared to devote a lot more time to exercise.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options

2lbs a week is acutally only really "OK" when you are quite overweight. One of the trainers who regularly posts advice on here laid out guidelines more particular to specific weights:

With a BMI of over 32 a deficit of 1000 calories is OK (about 2 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat.

Now, of course these are guidelines so you don't have to adhere to them exactly. But the OP is within a healthy BMI range, 2lbs a week is not a realistic or healthy goal, and it's normal and healthy that she is having a "problem" not being able to lose a full lb each week.
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Actually, unless an individual is highly overweight (as I am) and dropping the weight faster is better for overall health, most medical professionals will tell you that 1lb every two weeks is healthy weight loss.

I kinda feel saying that '4lbs in a month is incredibly ideal and should be easy' to someone who's posted that they're having trouble at that rate is almost uncalled for. I'm not trying to personally attack you. Because of lack of tonal qualities and body language cues, written communication can be drastically misunderstood, so you may not have meant it that way. Just seemed kind of mean to me when I read it.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    So I'm wondering whether or not losing 4lbs a month is a realistic weight loss target for me. I'm someone who's towards the top end of the 'normal' BMI range but trying to get into the bottom third. I'm 158lbs trying to get to 140lbs (a weight I was comfortable at up until about 2 years ago when the weight began creeping on).

I'm finding it really hard to lose a whole pound every week and suspect that a 2lb a month goal might be better for me. Anyone else thinking that a 2lb monthly goal might be more realistic for them? Of course it really means shifting your time-frame to the long term, which is quite tough for me to do!

Don't worry about you. That cat needs a diet and a tread mill. YIKES!!! LOL

The last bit is the hardest. Stubborn fat doesn't want to go away. Hang in there. Do more intense cardio and tell me about your diet. Also do you lift weights?
  • AUPerry
    Options
    Well I got a lot of replies from posting that.
    Yes, it all depends, but if you're eating enough calories and you end up losing 2 lbs that week, there is nothing wrong with that.

There are always if, ands and buts.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    For sanity's sake, I would recommend using a "customer service" viewpoint: under-promise, over-deliver.

IE: Set it for losing 2lbs a month. That way, if you lose more, you are pleasantly surprised, and it will be easier on your body to stay on target.

I think this is a good approach. I am much further from my goal and I am shooting for 5 lbs a months. I have consistently beat that for 3 months now, but I know a plateau is possible, and I hope that by setting a reasonable (achievable) goal for myself, I will ge able to get over that mental hurtle. What seems easy for someone, may not be easy for someone else. The goal is to make better choices every day and get to where you want to be healthwise.
  • JaneP2011
    JaneP2011 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input guys ...
    I would LOVE to be able to lose a 1lb a week and feel that I *should* be doing it, but it's just not happening for me unfortunately!

My calorie goal is 1280 net, and I exercise 3-4 times a week with a mix of cardio and weights - I eat back the exercise calories becuase I'm absolutely starving if I don't!

One thing I've noticed with me is that I can stick to that goal for about 3 days but then on day four I'm really hungry and have to eat more.

I think I'll just have to come to terms with the fact that from now on in it's going to be slow. I'm a great believer in trying to manage expectations in other parts of my work/life but accepting that this is going to be a 7-8 month haul takes a bit of getting used to!
  • AUPerry
    Options

Actually, unless an individual is highly overweight (as I am) and dropping the weight faster is better for overall health, most medical professionals will tell you that 1lb every two weeks is healthy weight loss.

I kinda feel saying that '4lbs in a month is incredibly ideal and should be easy' to someone who's posted that they're having trouble at that rate is almost uncalled for. I'm not trying to personally attack you. Because of lack of tonal qualities and body language cues, written communication can be drastically misunderstood, so you may not have meant it that way. Just seemed kind of mean to me when I read it.

I don't see how that could have been misconstrued. I just said that I think her goal is practical and reachable. Don't see the negativity there... whatsoever.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have similar weight loss goals as you do, and I find that losing a whole pound in a week is pretty rare. Its usually some fraction of a pound, hovering around half a pound. For me there have been lots of fits and starts, and a very active, big loss week is often followed by a weird week, an injury week, etc, so that some months I am happy to have a single pound lost. But, of course, I have my own obstacles and am figuring things out for myself. I think, at your weight, you might be setting yourself up for disappointment if you aim for 4lbs a week. The closer you are to your goal weight, the slower the loss.
    If you find this goal set not sexy enough to keep you motivated, I recommend having other goals in mind that do get you fired up, like a fitness goal or, say, altering your diet (I try to stay vegetarian until 6pm),or running a race. Also, keep measurements and body fat in mind for alternate/additional goals. Good luck!
  • rboshamp
    rboshamp Posts: 2
    Options
    Not sure I agree with assessment that it should be easy, hasn't been my experience. I'm a distance runner getting back in to shape after some time off. Was in "ok" shape to start, like you at high end of BMI. I set my goal at a pound a week, figuring the mileage combined with eating right would make it a conservative goal. After a month of consistently eating well and below my allowance and a variety of cardio exercising 5+ days per week a minimum of 45 minutes at 85% maximum heart rate, I'm down 2 pounds. I did 12 mi on Sat and had a skim chai latte to celebrate.

My guess, I'm adding mass. Clothes fit better and belly fat is dwindling. In hindsight, I'm wishing I had added some measurement goals and not just weight goals. I envy those who drop weight quickly, but at 47 it ain't happenin that way for me.

Good luck!
  • JaneP2011
    Options

Don't worry about you. That cat needs a diet and a tread mill. YIKES!!! LOL

The last bit is the hardest. Stubborn fat doesn't want to go away. Hang in there. Do more intense cardio and tell me about your diet. Also do you lift weights?

Quite a few posts came in while I was writing my reply!

Yep - I reckon the cat could easily cope with a 4lbs a month loss! :laugh:

I do a bit of weight training - I was reading a post about how that should help - but I don't really have a clue what I'm doing to be honest - I aim for 3 sets of 8 at a given weight and then when that's comfortable and relatively easy to do I go up a notch - but I'm just using the weight machines in the gym for legs and arms, not free weights. I do some crunches on the fitball for my abs.

Diet wise, I'm always over on my protein and under on my carbs as far as the MFP goals are concerned, and always get a breakfast and a couple of snacks.

My biggest diet downfall in alcohol on the weekends ... pretty sure that's going to have to stop before I'm going to lose anything more

Thanks again for the feedback everyone!
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    MFP has set mine to .7 pounds a week. I am almost at the top end of my range, too. I have been expecting it to get harder as I go forward, and think that 2 pounds a month will be realistic for me as well. And, I agree that you should definitely take measurements. My measurements keep getting lower even when there is little or no weight change. Also, resistance training is a good option for your long-term goals. Cardio alone is not gonna do it. You need to build and maintain muscle mass.
  • ButterflyKristen
    ButterflyKristen Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I totally agree with you (and others on here) spayrroe. I think that some people get on MFP to bully and cause trouble. BTW, I LOVE your current goal. Man o man I wish I could get away with wearing bondage pants again..... I fear I'm too old for that now.
  • JaneP2011
    Options
    I think part of the trouble for me is that I feel - emotionally - that I SHOULD be able to lose 1lb a week. And coming to terms with the fact that .5 lb is probably going to be the more realistic - and rational - outcome is quite hard.
    But reading through your comments is certainly very helpful - I think I'm going to set my goal to 2lbs a month and not feel like I'm a lazy ill-disciplined person for doing so!