jogging vs eliptical

Options
I have been a regular runner/jogger for about a year now but I am not liking what is happening to my calf muscles. They are continuing to get larger while I am not seeing much change at all in my upper leg muscles. I have swapped to primarily the eliptical because I was told it worked more on the upper leg. Can any one confirm or share some info?

Replies

• cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    That depends what kind of incline you put it on. Flat it will work the same muscles as running, but put it on a high incline and you can target the hamstrings and glutes more
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I started out on the elliptical and now am starting to do some running. When I run I feel it mostly in my calves and on the elliptical I feel it mostly in my thighs. I have definitely noticed that I am getting some muscle tone in my thighs from just doing the elliptical.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I personally found the elliptical to give my thighs better results, as in firming and fat burn, versus the treadmill which made my calves pop out like MAD. But I do agree with a previous poster, if you DO use the treadmill, try running on an incline. I do the intervals on the treadmill when I'm in the mood and I feel it working in the back of my thighs and my butt.