political correctness

Options

Replies

• watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Newfiedan, I know you're talking about Canada but you could just as well be talking about the United States. I agree with you 100%. I'm sick and tired of all this politically correct nonsense!

What she said.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I am offended by the very term "Politically Correct." It presumes or declares what is "correct." I prefer "Socially Preferred" or something that acknowledges sensitivity without mandating a value judgement. If any political entity determines my morality, just shoot me now.
  • ♥jewel♥
    ♥jewel♥ Posts: 839
    Options
    Newfiedan, I know you're talking about Canada but you could just as well be talking about the United States. I agree with you 100%. I'm sick and tired of all this politically correct nonsense!

What she said.

^^Ditto - I'm in Canada as well, and when talking to some of my friends on here, telling them that Friday (Good Friday) is a holiday, the response was "Oh, we don't get religious holidays off, it's not PC" I just don't get it.
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I used to be a practicing neo-pagan, a major problem I had with my community was their pc behavior. Limiting one religion hurts all religion, I understand an atheist protesting but obviously not other religious groups. Besides easter traditions are based on pagan and Jewish traditions. Even the word easter comes from ostara a celebration of spring, if I remember right it means egg.

I don't think you'll see many atheists protesting over nonsense like this. Atheists are generally much more tolerant of various religions than the followers of said religions.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    well I can see how giving easter eggs to little jewish and muslim children could be a problem. The term easter egg has chritianity written all over it no matter how commercial it has become.

Put yourself in the shoes of muslim parents who children are being feed little icons of Christianity in the form or delicious chocolate. Wouldn`t that seem inaapropritate to you too. Imagine if it were the otehr way around an a muslim parents was giving Ramadan cookies to all kids to bring home and eat at sun down, wouldn't Christian parents be offended by that.

It too easy to say, its always been this way, if you look at the situation objectively you might understand the situation better.

I'm a Christian and my perspective on the giving out Easter themed chocolate or Ramadan cookies is if the kids don't want to accept the candy or cookies then they don't have to. But why should other kids who do want to accept one or the other not be allowed to because someone might be offended? I heard this phrase one time: "You do not have the right to not be offended." It means that's not one of our constitutional rights.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I bet you would let me get away with calling myself French-Canadian tho right.
    Actually yes I do have a problem with that, you are Canadian first, that is not taking away from your french background one little bit, hey if you are proud of that then cool have at it, but the title "french-canadian" implies that you are not a part of the same country that we are so yes I do have a problem with it, just like I do with those who want to separate from Canada (the bloc) I think that if you are part of that system then you have no place in federal politics. As for the muslim/jewish/whatever being fed bits of christanity I am sorry but easter as per today's standards has nothing to do with the religious aspects of that holiday, how the hell is an easter egg part of christian religion? I am saying cram our religion down your throat, but go to an Islamic country and try to practice Christianity and see how that goes over. I am not saying that there is an issue with religion per say I am saying that when you come into another country and alter its traditions to suit yourself that it is fundamentally wrong.

well this could go off tangent really fast, I know the rest of Canada wants Quebec to stay quiet and behave like good Canadians but the reality is that we are very different than the rest of Canada and we want to stay that way. We have our own culture, our own identity and our own language that we hold in very high regard. Does that mean that we aren`t Canadian, absolutely not. But we are very Quebecois, and many of us would call ourselves Quebecois before we called ourselves Canadian. I know a lot of Canadians have trouble accepting that. You guys would love it if we simply assimilated and gave up french, seperatism and our identity as a nation within a nation, but these are issues that are part of of Quebecois and therefore part of Candians as well.

anyways,

I don't think it is the immigrants fault that we have these issues today. I think this stems from the fact that we are supposedly a secular nation. We have religious icons and traditions everywhere whose merit deserve debate. For example, the Church use to operate Education; eventually the government took over that mandate, a decade ago it was decided that having crosses hung in classroms was innapropriate. It was traditional to hang a cross in class but it wasn't PC, I think it was the right decision to remove them.

An Easter Egg to me represents easter, the celebration of the death and ressurection of Jesus. But to another person an Easter egg simply is something the Easter Bunny brings around and is not religious at all but simply traditional. That is why there is a problem, the Easter Egg is both trditional/commercial and religious. We will never be able to have the term Easter be coined as a non-religious word, it is inherently Christian.
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    When It was Chinese New Year we celebrated that.

Start calling it "Asian New year" and see how it goes.

Lazyboy...my fiance was actually given that exact instruction. Her school director said she had to call it Asian New Year. When I heard that, I flipped my ****. It isn't Asian New Year at all. It is Chinese. LOL. It is a Chinese calendar. Imagine having to call "Mexican Food" "Central American Food" instead....or "French Champagne" "Regional European Champagne/Sparkling Wine."
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I respect that you have your french language and your cultural ways, hey that is cool but do not expect me to think of you other than canadian, and yes I do expect you to be a part of this country regardless of what you may consider "unique" about your province. French culture can be cool, however and this is where I have a bone to pick. The newfoundland culture has managed to assimilate just fine into canada, and our culture stems back over 500 years, we are continually losing bits of that culture as we evolve as a province you do not see that protectionist attitude that you do in Quebec, if they want to separate then go ahead and do so but stop crying with this "woe is me I am losing my culture" attitude. Newfoundland has a much deeper and richer culture and without that province being the gateway to canada much of what you have today would not exist. So do not play that card with me as I have a whole host of things to say on that topic. I digress though as it is way off tangent from the original post we will just agree to disagree on that front and leave it at that. As for language being lost, well lets see in Newfoundalnd we have Gaelic, french, english, some spanish, inuit, to just name a few have all given way to english, the communities that still speak these languages are small at best but they manage just fine in CANADA!
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options

Lazyboy...my fiance was actually given that exact instruction. Her school director said she had to call it Asian New Year. When I heard that, I flipped my ****. It isn't Asian New Year at all. It is Chinese. LOL. It is a Chinese calendar. Imagine having to call "Mexican Food" "Central American Food" instead....or "French Champagne" "Regional European Champagne/Sparkling Wine."

LOL!!!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're saying. And I agree. Me wishing my Jewish friend Merry Christmas is no different than him wishing me a happy Passover. (That interaction occurs anually, by the way). I've also been wished Happy Hannukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Saturnalia (pagan festival), and Happy Chinese New Year without taking offense, so I don't understand why it's so offensive to call Easter "Easter" and Christmas "Christmas".
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

How ridiculous, haha. Those are great suggestions though.

You know what, let's just cut to the final solution now. After we generalize all holidays we need to also precede everything with the word "Earth". That way in case we meet aliens we won't have to worry about confusing them with our holidays versus theirs.
  • mommared53
    Options
    I understand what you're saying. And I agree. Me wishing my Jewish friend Merry Christmas is no different than him wishing me a happy Passover. (That interaction occurs anually, by the way). I've also been wished Happy Hannukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Saturnalia (pagan festival), and Happy Chinese New Year without taking offense, so I don't understand why it's so offensive to call Easter "Easter" and Christmas "Christmas".

AMEN! Oops not politically correct to say Amen. AMEN! :bigsmile:
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    It is not that I do not understand why some find it offensive per say as much as I am just saying "suck it up" you moved here so get over it. I am unsympathetic towards it more or less. I am not saying that those whom moved here are directly responsible for it as much as the cry babies who cried about it and were listened to because some politician thought it was a good way to get votes by giving them that sway over others.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I only practice being PC in the work place. Because I have to. In my world, I speak my mind, I tell my truths, I celebrate my holidays. Everyone else may practice theirs. If we can get together, perfect. If not, perfect.

Don't care about hearing the religious background or the significance to one group of people or the other. We have our own traditions, gatherings and observances in our home.
  • mommared53
    Options
    I only practice being PC in the work place. Because I have to. In my world, I speak my mind, I tell my truths, I celebrate my holidays. Everyone else may practice theirs. If we can get together, perfect. If not, perfect.

Don't care about hearing the religious background or the significance to one group of people or the other. We have our own traditions, gatherings and observances in our home.

I don't even have to practice political correctness at my job because I don't have to. My boss is about one of the most un-politically correct people I know. :laugh: He would offend lots of people and not give a crap because he's just going to be himself and if someone doesn't like it, they need to either suck it up or find another job.

I wonder how soon til this thread gets locked. :laugh:
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I live in the US and am a Christian and also believe that political correctness is getting way out of control. I have absolutely no problem with other people’s ethnicities or religions, in fact I find the differences and similarities between many to be quite fascinating. I used to have a colleague from Pakistan who was Islamic and we got along wonderfully and frequently discussed our religious beliefs with each other and neither of us ever got offended. We also had different political views which we discussed, and again, neither of us got offended. I think if kids in school want to celebrate Easter, let them, the ones that don’t, don’t have to. Same goes for praying and the pledge of allegiance in schools.

This may be too much for people but, it is my belief, none the less. If you can change the way people talk and can carry these changes through generation after generation and continue to influence human communication over time, you will successfully change the way people think; and I believe that the goal of the political correctness movement, in the end is to change the way people think.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I say push back. It's worked for the Politically Correct to get their point across (almost to idiocy). When I hear someone say these things like Seasonal Concert or Holiday Spheres, I correct them and tell them I am offended when people don't call things for what they are. Canada and the US were built on Christian values, and if you think I am going to deny my heritage because it upsets someone else... well guess again. I don't deny anyone their Rosh Hashanah, Kwanza or Ramadan or what have you... don't deny me mine. You choose to live here, live in peace. If you can't accept differing view points... live somewhere else.
  • mommared53
    Options
    I say push back. It's worked for the Politically Correct to get their point across (almost to idiocy). When I hear someone say these things like Seasonal Concert or Holiday Spheres, I correct them and tell them I am offended when people don't call things for what they are. Canada and the US were built on Christian values, and if you think I am going to deny my heritage because it upsets someone else... well guess again. I don't deny anyone their Rosh Hashanah, Kwanza or Ramadan or what have you... don't deny me mine. You choose to live here, live in peace. If you can't accept differing view points... live somewhere else.

Two thumbs up!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I don't think that you see the inherent contradictions in your position. Even your username, newfiedan (not CanadianDan) belies that you are really of two minds about this issue. You decry people for calling themselves "their national heritage-Canadian", yet you choose to call yourself NewfieDan and post about how proud you are of your heritage, as you rightfully should be-yet it bothers you that French Canadians are equally proud of theirs!

You seem to only be bothered about 'political correctness' when your OWN traditions and culture are influenced. Your position appears to be that you and yours should be able to do whatever you want, whenever you want, as publicly and officially as you want, while everyone else is free to *privately* celebrate their own traditions. Perhaps I've misunderstood, but that's what it sounded like to me.

To me, the inherent problem with excessive *political correctness* is that it stamps out diversity that should be recognized, shared and celebrated. That's an entirely different issue from only complaining when your own traditions are curtailed--you should be upset when ANYONE's traditions are curtailed.

If you're only upset when your own traditions are impacted, we aren't talking about political correctness, are we?
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If you want to celebrate whatever you want to celebrate, why does it have to be at school, do it on your own time in your own home. Especially if your celebration is religious in nature, it shouldn`t be practiced at school.
This discussion has been closed.