Mindless Eating - recommended reading

Hi everyone.

I just wanted to let you know about a book I finished reading tonight.

It's called Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think (ISBN 039340379) by Dr. Brian Wansink.

It basically talks about North American nutritional downfalls. Examples include serving sizes which are usually too large. In fact he advocates throwing our your dinner plates and just using smaller plates. We should eat until we're no longer hungry. We should not eat until we're full.

And have you ever noticed how successful multinational fast food restaurants often employ the use of the colors red and yellow? That's not a coincidence. Those colors trigger us to eat.

It's an amazing book to read. Dr. Wansink feels that by making small subtle changes to our mindless eating we can eliminate 100-200 calories per day. And that could translate into a 20 pound weight loss in one year.

I recommend everyone grab this book from a bookstore or library. It could give you some tips that could help you over that last 10-pound hump.

Shane in Victoria, BC, Canada

Replies

• sw_in_victoria
    sw_in_victoria Posts: 6 Member
    Hi everyone.

I just wanted to let you know about a book I finished reading tonight.

It's called Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think (ISBN 039340379) by Dr. Brian Wansink.

It basically talks about North American nutritional downfalls. Examples include serving sizes which are usually too large. In fact he advocates throwing our your dinner plates and just using smaller plates. We should eat until we're no longer hungry. We should not eat until we're full.

And have you ever noticed how successful multinational fast food restaurants often employ the use of the colors red and yellow? That's not a coincidence. Those colors trigger us to eat.

It's an amazing book to read. Dr. Wansink feels that by making small subtle changes to our mindless eating we can eliminate 100-200 calories per day. And that could translate into a 20 pound weight loss in one year.

I recommend everyone grab this book from a bookstore or library. It could give you some tips that could help you over that last 10-pound hump.

Shane in Victoria, BC, Canada
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Thank you. I will go and get it this week. I get new letters sent to me on line from him. He is very interesting.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    A couple of months ago, I bought some smaller plates, and have been using them. Sometimes I go back for seconds, but usually I'm full...because I ate everything on my plate.

My mother raised me to be so concerned about the starving children in (insert country here) that I thought that my overeating was an act of charity for years!

I LOVE my smaller plates. :flowerforyou:
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    I got a copy at the Lib. After I saw it on Oprah.
    You are right it is a great book!
    I also like the Dr Oz books for all things body related. These two write in such a clear way that you can not HELP but have Ah-Ha moments when you read.
    It is WONDERFUL to know what is going on INSIDE your body, and why you feel the way you do at certain times of your life. Why you are hungry and what you bopdy tells you it wants to do about it.
    If we would be more intune with your bodies, we would be so much better off.
    Books like these are a great start towards that insight!
    --Diann...
  • I'll check this book out. I like to read anyway.
  • The smaller plate theory works.