Eat Breakfast for a Weight-Smart Start

Options
Your mother was right: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

That goes double for people who are trying to control their weight. They may think they’re getting a jump on their calorie-saving efforts for the day, but it’s a strategy that more often than not backfires.

Studies have shown that people who eat breakfast are more successful at losing weight and keeping it off than those who don’t. They’re also more likely to exercise regularly and to consume fewer calories overall.

Hectic morning routines often make it tempting or necessary to cut corners, and breakfast seems like an easy one to offload.

But downing a cup of coffee and calling it fuel for the morning will have you ravenous by the time lunchtime rolls around. And then, predictably, you’ll be more likely to overeat or to eat the wrong things.

Research also shows that eating breakfast can kick start your metabolism, helping your body burn calories more efficiently throughout the day.

Of course, choosing what to eat in the morning is also an important consideration. Doughnuts or a vending machine cinnamon roll will do more harm than good with their empty calories and high fat content. You want something that will keep you feeling full and energized without weighing you down or putting a major dent in your calorie allotment for the day.

Your best bet is foods that are high in fiber and low in calories, such as fruits, vegetables, and grains. Foods like these let you eat more and feel more satisfied without a calorie overload.

Smart breakfast options:
• High-fiber cereal
• Oatmeal with fruit
• Fresh or frozen berries or other fruits
• Low-fat yogurt
• Banana with peanut butter
• Eggs
• Fruit and yogurt smoothies

Replies

• kristina509
    kristina509 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Great post, thanks for sharing!
  • SailorMoon007
    SailorMoon007 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    BUMP! Thanks for sharing this. I knew there was some method to the madness on eating breakfast
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    NO, no, no!
  • Tracenspace
    Tracenspace Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This has been one of the hardest things for me to do! I eat Greek yogurt or oatmeal every morning now but it's tough to get used to.
  • dmisom79
    dmisom79 Posts: 112
    Options
    NO, no, no!

No, no, no to what???