My paloe/primal friends?

Options
first off I don't want anyone to tell me this is not healthy, I have done my own research and this works for me.

My question, I have lost a lot of weight but for the last 3 months I have been up and down the same 3-5 lbs, will anyone that eats this way take a look at my diary and tell me what I should do. I do eat a few grains here and their. Thanks

Replies

• LadyT02182011
    Options
    Try watching your sodium and see if that helps. That's usually a significant factor in weight loss. Aim for around 1500mg if you can (not hard to do) but definitely aim for under the alloted 2500mg.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    A couple things, first congratulations, on your success so far, you have done great.

I looked at your diary for the last 4 days, if that is representative here is what I noticed, sodium is kind of high, and your carbs are a little high for optimum weight loss. I didn’t look to see what kind of exercise you are doing.

Here is what I would do, try to cut down on the sodium, and get your carbs back down to 50 or so for a couple weeks see if that helps.
  • tmaksparkie
    tmaksparkie Posts: 279
    Options
    How do I get carbs down to 50g and eat enough calories? I agree with the sodium, just trying to tweak it to start losing again. Thanks so far keep them coming.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not a Paleo guy, but if it's been 3 months at the same weight then I'd say you in a state of balance. You could try cutting your calories by say 150 or so a day. That might be one way to get your carbs lower if that's what you want. Or you bump up your burn a bit. I wouldn't start with anything drastic, but make a small change and stick with it for a month or so and see what happens. GL
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Well, your diary looks pretty darn good to me (close to mine, anyway). I keep my carbs under 75g a day typically, and sodium around or under 1500. I think adding more veggies might help, and also possibly cutting out the protein drinks in favor of real food.

Here's an article I just read that might help you - I am "guilty" of all of the things he mentions (nuts, protein shakes, large breakfasts). I've thought about tweaking things the next time I get stuck, but I'm not sure intermittent fasting is the way to go for me, especially since I work out in the AM.

http://fitnessblackbook.com/diet-tips/martin-berkhan-scorch-through-your-fat-loss-plateau/
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into intermittent fasting? I had hit a mini plateau and it kickstarted my progress again.

EDIT: Duh...just saw the post above me. IF does work.
  • bobspdx
    bobspdx Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I would start tracking your sugar. I have mine set to 30g per day but I try to keep it even lower than that. Once I started tracking sugar, I seemed to have gotten out of my plateau. It is amazing how much sugar is in food that you would never expect.

Also, I agree with others about cutting out the protein powder and replace it with real protein.
  • freerange
    Options
    How do I get carbs down to 50g and eat enough calories? I agree with the sodium, just trying to tweak it to start losing again. Thanks so far keep them coming.

Take a look at your high carb items, and just find something to eat instead of that. I know sounds simple but isn’t in real life. You should be able to see my diary, if you want some ideas of how I do it.

Another thing, make sure you are in a calorie deficit, eating low carb will not cause you to lose weight if you are eating more than you are expending.
  • freerange
    Options
    Another question, is this typical of how you ate while you were losing?
  • tmaksparkie
    Options
    No it is not typical, actually here is a little backround, I started in Dec 2009 and did a program that is low carb, low fat, low cals under doctor supervision. So I was eating for that program 800-1000 cals/day, under 100g carbs normally around 70-80g, protein was at 110g, and fat was at 20g. That is how I lost all my weight but you could not exercise on that program because of the deficit was to great. I started to have for bad mood swings and doc said it was because both fat and carbs were low for such a long time. So I transitioned off and yes gained weight back, and now I eat like I do, I don't want to go back on this plan because then I cannot go to the gym and I think I lost a lot of muscle along with fat doing it. I am currently at
    5'4"
    156lbs
    30%BF using my scale

I forgot to mention I have a bodybugg and I burn on a non gym day 2100cals and every time at the gym is between 300-500cals 3x a week depending on my cardio I do.
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting weights? I find that is really key to maintaining muscle mass (along with getting adequate protein - and it sounds like you are).
  • tmaksparkie
    Options
    Yes I lift weight, heavy weights 3x a week and cardio after that for 20 min.
  • freerange
    Options
    Well, it looks like you are set up pretty good, you’re at a 600 cal deficit, you are exercising, really the only advice (remember I’m not an expert or a doctor) is to cut your carbs to 10-15% get your protein to around 1g per pound of lean body weight, and fill the rest with healthy fat, nothing wrong if your protein is higher, but I would try for at least that. Cut the sodium back a little too.

We are all different, and for me staying around 50 (net carbs) has been working pretty good so far. I plan on bumping that up to 100-150 once I reach my goal.